Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:53:01 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  "Scattered Showers"
« previous next »
: [1]
: "Scattered Showers"  ( 3597 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : August 16, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »

Very odd.
Margie and I were coming home from getting groceries in St. Albans late Sunday afternoon. I did museum coverage and Margie picked me up and we were off.
Anyway, on the way home the sky was kinda dark toeards Fairfax village. We had the top down, obviously, and we wondered if we were going to have to stop and put the roof up.
Around 5:30ish, as we were entering Brush's Woods near Charlotte McNall's place, Margie said, "That smell." You suddenly got a wiff of the smell that comes when rain first hits a hot blacktop road. Suddenly the road was wet, but it wasn't raining. It stayed wet until just past the campground, then the road was dry. No rain. We kept watching oncoming traffic to see if people were running their wipers. Some weren't, but cars that were behind other cars were, probably getting the spray.
When we got to 104A, the road became wet again, and as we got closer to the village, the road got really wet. Puddles in the road, but it wasn't raining.
Obviously, we just missed it. We got home, the driveway was wet, but it wasn't raining.
Now at 7:10pm, we had a sudden shower, but Cambridge way looked clear, as did Gergia. In fact the sun was shining.
Scattered showers indeed.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 16, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »

At 5:30, no rain at my house, however, from Sanderson Corners down to Minors, heavy rain.  Fortunately I was able to get in the house before it ended up starting to rain for a short while up here.  An awful lot of these "Scattered Showers" this year.

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : August 17, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »

I always thought 'scattered showers' meant they were scattered randomly throughout the day, not randomly throughout the town!!!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Sue W.
: 167

« #3 : August 17, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »

Ha, scattered showers, indeed!  I thought that meant a few sprinkles here and there.  We checked the weather report before heading out for a little kayaking on Fairfield Pond late yesterday afternoon.  It was beautiful to begin with.  We'd made our way down one side, and the wind picked up, some pretty heavy rain started, and the skies were looking pretty dark off in the distance!  Yikes, I think we could have provided some water skiers a pretty good ride getting back to shore!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: