Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:39:18 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA Nordic Girls win 2nd Place at State Meet; Boys 2nd in Relay
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA Nordic Girls win 2nd Place at State Meet; Boys 2nd in Relay  ( 2309 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : March 06, 2009, 08:42:37 AM »

It was an extraordinary day . Endless sunshine, temperaturess that rose steadily during the day to 30 degrees, well-groomed challenging courses, much of which were open to spectators,  and the best field of young skiers the state of Vermont can provide. 

It was an excellent day for Fairfax skiers as well. Our boys team regrouped impressively from Monday's disappointing showing at the first half of the state meet. We had four skiers in the top 25, but more importantly, found some much-needed confidence. This time around, we skied aggressively, looking to make positive things happen rather than hoping something good would fall our way.  Once again Kyle Bochanski led the men's team with an impressive 4th, and looked good doing it. Dustin Hayes came in 10th, followed closely by Zach Bochanski. Simon Mann-Gow rebounded from a poor race on Monday with much-improved effort, and as a team, we were on our way.

I could sense from watching the boys  test wax and talk prior to the relay that they were focused and ready to perform. At time like this the best a coach can do is do nothing-- smile, give words of encouragement and take a step back.  They took charge of their fate, had a sensational relay,  leaping past the five of the seven teams they trailed after Monday to finish second in the D-2 relay.  Their effort boosted them two places to fifth-- not where we saw ourselves ending up prior to the State Meets-- but nonetheless making statement.  Our boys team knows now they can be a force next year.

I could not be more proud of our girl's team. We came into today's races knowing that we had possibly over-achieved at Trapps in Monday's race. No one, including their coach, thought they would be in second place after the skate races. Instead of folding the girls took a narrow lead over Harwood and expanded it.  They were dialed in beautifully on what they had to do. Shannon Kane and Mattie Hayes kept their heads up and skis pointed down the trail. They had strong, determined races, and Michelle Ambrisco was in her element skiing classical.  Captains Larisa Marco and Katie Wells tucked in behind Michelle and we extended our lead.  Their relay was a thing of beauty. Each girls went all out and built on our lead over other D-2 schools. By the end of the day we showed Monday was no fluke. These girls earned their Finalist trophy!

We return all scoring State Meet skiers next season.  I'm inclined to think that Thursday's races were not an ending but a beginning.  The BFA Fairfax Nordic Ski Team is coached by Fred Griffin, Cheri Audet, and Tom Pfeiffer.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: