Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:28:55 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  FXFD Training Photos from Ovitt's Pond Tuesday night
« previous next »
: [1]
: FXFD Training Photos from Ovitt's Pond Tuesday night  ( 2250 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : August 21, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »

We were training at Ovitt's Pond, at the base of Buck Hill on Buck Hollow Road.

Aaron Sanders pumping water out of the pond into Engine 2.

Sending water from Engine 2 to Tanker 1.

Flushing out the dry hydrant. This is done by pumping water through the hydrant BACK INTO the pond. This is to clean out any sediment in the pipe. The end of the pipe in the pond is the swirls you see to the left of the firefighter about hip level between the two weeds.

Once cleaned out, Aaron pumps water from the pond into Engine 2 using the dry hydrant.

Clarification about a dry hydrant: There is no water pressure in the hydrant. It is located near a body of water, but no pressure is in the pipe. Here in the village, if you were to open a hydrant and unscrew the top, you would get water from the gravity fed lines. There is enough pressure in the town system, that you can fill a truck without the use of a pump. Whereas with a dry hydrant, the only way to get the water out, is to pump it out.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : August 22, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »

Nice pictures and explanations, Mike !!!!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: