Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:35:28 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Gary Stewart - The Man Behind The Fields
« previous next »
: [1]
: Gary Stewart - The Man Behind The Fields  ( 8503 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 27, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »

(The following article was published in the October 27, 2011 Edition of The Essex Reporter - Many thanks to Donny Gross for bringing it to my attention)

By DONNY O'NEILL
For The Essex Reporter

It's Friday moming and the Essex High School athletic community is eagerly awaiting the night's football game. The players go over playbooks, the coaches watch film, students make signs and parents provide encouragement. On the surface everyone is working
towards the night's game, but it's behind the scenes where the real magic happens.

Gary Stewart walks amongst the moming dew, laying down white paint to line the football field. When he is finished here, he'll make his way to the other fields, rolling and lining them for the soccer and field hockey team practices later in the day. Stewart is the man behind the curtain, ensuring that Essex athletics always has a safe place to play.

"He takes a lot of pride in seeing our athletes play on fields that are well cared for," said Essex Athletic Director Ed Hockenbury. "It's such a behind the scenes position that it's very natural to take it for granted. Our complex looks as good as it ever has and that sometimes gets taken for granted."

Stewart had been the groundskeeper for BFA-Fairfax for 12 years before coming to Essex. He attended high school in . Fairfax and, following a stint in the Army, returned home to become the school's groundskeeper. Gary credits his father as equipping him with the knowledge needed to maintain the fields properly but took other necessary steps as well.

"I've been to school, herbicide classes, gardening classes," Stewart said. "I owe a lot to my father. He taught me everything I know, he's got the nicest lawn in Fairfax."

Stewart took over as the groundskeeper for Essex High School three months ago and in that short time, his work ethic and enthusiasm have cemented him as a valuable member of the community. His efforts have quickly earned him respect throughout Essex High School.

"Gary does a great job reaching out to build connections with coaches and student-athletes alike," said varsity football head coach and social studies teacher Charlie Burnett. "He is very personable and approachable. We are very fortunate to have him on staff."

Stewart believes that building a mutual respect amongst coaches, student-athletes and the maintenance crew ensures that everyone involved will be able to enjoy the benefits that the fields provide.

"I just like to get all the coaches and the players involved in everything about the grounds keeping," Stewart described. "Just
assisting us in every way that they can because it makes things easier for everybody. "

The most important aspect of Stewart's job is making sure that the fields are safe. He spends the majority of his day trying to prevent injuries from happemng as a result of poor field maintenance. The rest is just common sense according to the groundskeeper.

"Keep the grass down and spend as much time as you can checking everything around it," he described. "Painting the lines, knowing when to put grass seed down, when to put fertilizer down and knowing when not to."

Stewart's motivation is simple. He goes above and beyond the call of duty in order to provide a safe environment for the students to develop as young adults. 

"He understands that it's for the kids," said Hockenbury. "He understands that when he's mowing the field, when he's lining the field, that our student athletes are going to be playing on that field and that's important."

Stewart's effort to maintain the fields provides rewards for students, parents and faculty alike.  Acting in accordance with his humble demeanor, he also believes that he too is rewarded.

"The most rewarding part of this job is the kids," he admitted.  "They try hard, they're respectful and they win good and they lose good.  That's the greatest part and it's the only reason why I do it.  We wouldn't have jobs if it wasn't for the kids."

When Stewart isn't working on the fields he can be seen attending the games because above all else, he is a sports fan and supports the student-athletes and coaches.

"I follow the games here and I still go to Fairfax games," said a beaming Stewart. "I love high school sports; the student athletes really are awesome."

His presence as more than just a groundskeeper is noticed by coaches and athletes throughout the school.

"We know that he is very supportive of our teams," Burnett said. "He shows it daily by sporting Essex gear as he cruises around the athletic fields."

The biggest obstacle for Stewart and the maintenance crew is working around the weather. Vermont's unpredictable weather
patterns often wreak havoc on high school sporting events.

"Occasionally there are times when we work more than forty hours a week," revealed Stewart. "It's basically because our job is
weather dependent."

This fall has been a difficult one for Gary and his crew in regard to the weather. Hurricane Irene soaked many of the CCSU fields, endangering the beginning of the fall sports season. The Albert D .. Lawton Intermediate School was going to have to cancel games because of the condition of the field. Thanks to Gary and his trusted partner Burt, they didn't have to.

"Our fields here, with all the rain, got so rained out that we were going to have to cancel games," said ADL Assistant Principal Kevin
Barber. "He came with about two or three guys, .moved a whole goal from here down to Maple Street just so the kids could play.
The community didn't even know about it and probably most of the people in the school didn't even know about it. For those kids
it meant that their game wouldn't get cancelled and that they would actually get to play."

The games are played and the fields dismantled, only to be brought back to life once again by Stewart. His efforts behind the
curtain ensure that the show will always go on, whether it be rain, sleet or snow it's his mission to make sure that Essex student athletes can play the games that they love without a wish for any recognition in return.

"I've been here for three months and I love it, it's a great place to work," admitted Stewart. "We all work as a team here, the whole maintenance department so it's ' not anything individual. Everybody works together and it's awesome."

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : October 27, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »

Way to go, Gary !

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #2 : October 27, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »

A well deserved tribute!!! Way to go Gary!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : October 27, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »

A wonderful article about Gary!  We miss you!
sdogallen
: 51

« #4 : October 27, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »

Man, that is awesome! Good to see you are finally getting the love you deserve Gary. THIS is what its all about. Reach for the stars baby, that dream of taking care of Fenway might just happen! Hats off to ya brother! Enjoy!
David Shea
: 471

« #5 : October 27, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »

Good work Gary, it looks like you have found a great new career.  Stay on top!
Dick Brown
: 414

« #6 : October 27, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »

Congrats Gary . Enjoyed the article which highlights not only the efforts you make to keep the EJHS fields in exceptional shape , but also the relationships you have built among those you serve in the short time that you've been in this position . I  was impressed with the well-deserved praise and credit that you gave to your father and commend you for that . Good luck .....Sounds like you've got a wonderful future in that system .    Thanks Henry for posting , and thanks also to another favorite person of mine , Donny Gross , for bringing it to your attention .
slpott
: 457

« #7 : October 28, 2011, 05:32:46 AM »

Remember Gary, for all bad, something good comes of it. Those bad feelings are taking up space and energy inside of you rent free. let them go and fly as you will in your new adventure. Great job. Sounds like they love you as we all did.
« : October 31, 2011, 01:26:32 PM slpott »
ohhman
: 469

« #8 : October 28, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »

Congrats Gary!! Glad it is all working out for you!!
lena6
: 357

« #9 : October 29, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »

Jim and I are verey proud to call Gary a friend of ours.  When the first big snow fall comes, BFA will certainly have a big surprise.  I could always tell when we had a big storm, you could hear Gary cleaning the parking lots at 4 in the morning.  You never had to walk in snow up to your when Gary was there.  Going to miss you Gary.
ohhman
: 469

« #10 : October 31, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »

Wish there was a thumbs up/like button on this site!  Would have used it for lena6 's post!!  I live by the fields & have already noticed a big difference!
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #11 : November 01, 2011, 05:28:01 AM »

Way to go Brother!!! I was at the football game 2 weekends ago and heard someone asking "why don't we have the pink on the field like last year?". Made me sad and kind of mad too how people sometimes take things for granted and don't relize what they have til it's gone.  You are missed man keep up the good work!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: [1]  
« previous next »
: