Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:52:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Historical Society Gets It's Pottery Back
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Historical Society Gets It's Pottery Back  ( 8744 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : September 05, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »

A couple of weeks ago, someone contacted me to say that the pieces of pottery-jugs, crocks, and a butter churn- would be returned to the society. Someone had acquired some pottery pieces, then heard about the break-in, did some research, and realized what they had. They wanted to return the pottery anonymously. Sunday night, a call was received, a location given, and the items retrieved.
Thank you to everyone who were concerned.
Security is being beefed up at the museum, in hopes this won't happen again.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : September 06, 2010, 05:28:59 AM »

Oh, Mike!!!  Absolutely wonderful!  Thanks to the integrity of the anonymous person, we have our treasures back. 
Judi
: 508

« #2 : September 06, 2010, 06:16:58 AM »

Wonderful news Mike, :)
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : September 06, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »

We are all very grateful for the return of the pottery.  Thank you Mike for the way you handled its return.  You did a great job.

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #4 : September 06, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »

YAAAAAYYY!  That's awesome!  (I love good news, don't you?!)
Suzy
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : September 06, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »

Wow, that's great AND simply amazing! What are the odds?

Congratulations Mike, I'm very happy you got the pieces back!

:-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
msm
: 211

« #6 : September 07, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »

Mike,

Awesome News ....     From my perspective,  these are the center pieces of the Museum.

Mike M
Henry
Administrator

« #7 : September 07, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »

Love the 802 Avatar Suzy

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : September 07, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

I wasn't sure how much of the story Mike Cain wanted to tell, so here is what he told Leon Thompson of The St. Albans Messenger, when he spoke with him this morning.

Museum director follows instructions
By LEON THOMPSON
Messenger Staff Writer

FAIRFAX — Through a surreal series of events, the Fairfax Historical Society has retrieved all the items that were stolen from its headquarters in late August.

Shortly after the burglary occurred between Aug. 19 and Aug. 22, Historical Society President Michael Cain received a phone call from a man that said he acquired the items - approximately a dozen pieces of locally produced pottery, dating back to the mid-1800s - and wanted to return them anonymously.

According to Cain, the man heard about the burglary, realized what he had, and "felt sick about it." All he wanted to do was return them - no strings attached.

"Obviously, they were out some money, but they felt really bad," Cain said this morning.

On Sunday, the man agreed to drop all the items at a specific location in Fairfax, near the village, where Cain could retrieve them.

Cain said he told hardly anyone about the call, or the possibility of seeing the stolen artifacts again. He wasn't nervous about the situation, and he didn't want to jeopardize the drop.

"I had to trust him," Cain said. "I didn't know if it was really going to go down. But if this was a game, I wasn't even on the field. This guy had control of everything."

When Cain arrived at the man's specified location Sunday, all 10 pieces were packed, in tact, in five separate boxes - the crocks, the jugs, even the butter churn. Everything.

Cain speculated that the man who had the items is not from Franklin County or Fairfax, because "someone would have known and talked about it."

The Fairfax Historical Society has already started beefing up security at its Main Street headquarters. Whoever stole the artifacts entered the building by prying open a back window.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #9 : September 07, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »

Such great news Mike!!!  I am sure the newspaper article helped get the word out about them being missing. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
MikeF9
: 1994

« #10 : September 07, 2010, 10:20:31 PM »

And of all nights NOT to get a Messenger. Not sure what happened, but I didn't get one. I will pick one up at the store Wednesaday.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Suzy

« #11 : September 08, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »

Re:  Avatar

Thanks Henry!

So, I live in Wyoming, and I frequently see Vermont license plates here.  This sticker was on a truck in a tiny town called Kelly, WY that has yurts and cabins along the edge of Grand Teton National Park, between the Teton and Gros Ventre Mountain Ranges.  I photographed it last fall.  Then I went cross country skiing on the other side of Jackson Hole, in Grand Teton National Park last winter, and when I got back to my car, someone had stuck one of the same stickers under my windshield wiper.  They must have noticed one of my faded, peeling VT stickers on my car, and seen I'd needed a new one.  So, now my car sports a similar sticker.  I think they are made by some snowboard shop in VT.  Anybody know where they come from?

Sometimes when I'm at work, on a side street in Jackson, I see Lamoille Valley Transportation (from Morrisville) busses go past the library.  I also see them around town, and I always wave to the busses like they are my long lost friends....

Hope you're all having a great day in VT!  And congratulations for getting the pottery back! 
Sooz
Dick Brown
: 414

« #12 : September 08, 2010, 10:04:43 AM »

Suzy   I'm still up in Illinois visiting Jeff , but will probably head back to Florida next week . I know what you mean when you mention  waving to anything or anybody remotely connected to Vermont. Back in my development I fly a Vermont flag, along with the US one, and have got quite a few " walkers " new to our area who stop to chat , primarily to find out where I lived in VT.
I'm also infamously known for tracking down Vermonters who are driving around our community just to " gab "  and probably make myself a pain in the butt to them when doing so. ( There is a senior citizen Park nearby whereby about 8 Franklin County couples call  home in the winter, some of who I knew before we moved down here, and it's always a prime place for me to stop in and converse . ) Before Nancy passed four years ago, she reminded me many times of this " foolish " trait that should have been stopped , BUT , even though I will never return to the Green Mountain state ( in fact, can't afford to live there now ) , I still think of myself as one of those who would rather be hiking the Long Trail and grousing about the weather then stumping around Disney World .
Jeff tells me that Cody has great fishing available, skiing is not far away with a much longer season and hunting is still a respected adventure.  Kind of think he'll go in that direction in the future.
Me...I'll still be asking the question , " By the Jesus , where do you live in Vermont ? " over & over again in the Wal-Mart parrking  lot !!!!!!!! 

Suzy

« #13 : September 10, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »

I'm glad you have that trait!  Please don't ever lose it! 
Cody is probably more affordable than Jackson.  I can't even afford to live here!  But somehow I've managed for the past 14 years. 
I saw three Vermont license plates on one of the very scenic back roads out here the other day after work!  Those Vermonters are always taking the best route to the prettiest places!  I waved to every single one of them!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: