Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:11:52 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Geez!! I thought Everybody Used These
« previous next »
: [1]
: Geez!! I thought Everybody Used These  ( 6811 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 29, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »

Was up at Fairfax Pharmacy the other day to pick up some razor blades and took my change holder out to give Alice the correct change.  Bob Ovitt happened to be sitting in one of the chairs near by and said, "Gee Henry, I haven't seen one of those in years."

I am not sure how many years I have used these and they are kind of hard to come by, expecially since we don't have an Ames any more.  The last time I got one, I picked up two.  Back in the old days, a billfold used to have a change section, but not today.  I guess the only way you are going to take your change back and find it is to put it in your pocket.  I suspect, women must just have to dump it in their purse.

I do have a problem in the winter, since they are made of plastic, so when I squeeze the ends to open it, when it really cold, sometime it cracks the plastic.

Anyhow, I have no problem finding my change, How about you??

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : August 29, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »

My grandfather used to have one of these when I was a kid. I never saw any other than the green one he carried. I didn't know Ames sold them. Many things are hard to come by these days as manufacturers decide what people want or need whether they want it or not.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Kathleen
: 167

« #2 : August 30, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »

I used to use one of those for my milk money when I was in the younger grades of school.  I haven't seen one of those in many many years either.  They were convenient for being able to find your spare change quickly and easily, but not nearly as entertaining as always having music jingle in you pants pocket.
cowtchr
: 17

« #3 : September 01, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »

Wow--this photo brought back memories.  "Back in the Day", businesses had their information printed on these and gave them to customers.  Gram and Grandpa who were living in NJ at the time, would receive them and give them to us to play with whenever we visited. 

For grins and giggles, I checked Vermont Country Store's website and they don't carry them.  Perhaps this would be a useful item to suggest for their product line!
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #4 : September 01, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »

It's been a long time since I've seen one of those too.  I think I might have had one in elementary school.  If there are dollars to be made, companies will do whatever it takes.  I have to assume that most companies stopped making them because people werent buying them, rather than the other way around, as someone else suggested.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : September 02, 2010, 02:36:59 PM »

People might still be buying them, but not in the large quantities desired! (or needed for that matter).

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
RedNEK
: 9

« #6 : September 03, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »

Oh my Gosh!!! I have been looking for one of these for my husband. Anyone know where I can get one?
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #7 : September 17, 2010, 07:45:03 AM »

Last night I was up at the Binghamville Church Chicken Pie Supper and as I was buying my ticket Pauline comes up to me and said, "I was out in Maine on vacation and I bought you a present."

I had absolutely no idea what it might be, but I knew she had it in her hand so it couldn't be too big.  She said she just couldn't resist buying it when she saw it.  Yup!! it was a bright shiny new change purse.  I forgot what store she said she found it in, but this one is a bright green and I am sure Maryann is probably saying that Pauline is trying to make an Irishman out of this old Frenchman.  Interestingly enough, her husband also has one that he told me he got years ago from AARP.

Well, I guess I am not so ODD after all.

Thanks Pauline, its these little kind deeds that brightens our days.

Henry Raymond
ladiblu2
: 11

« #8 : September 25, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier on where to get them... saw a bunch at
    The Bean Pot restaurant in Crossville   TN.
  I think there is a regular on here that lives in TN, not sure where    but maybe he can mail you a couple if he's in that area.    Foods good there also   :)
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #9 : September 25, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »

you know henry ,that peter shumlin should get his logo printed on it and say this is all you need after im done with you
: [1]  
« previous next »
: