Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 08:27:07 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  reduction targets
« previous next »
: [1]
: reduction targets  ( 2281 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : August 06, 2010, 07:12:16 AM »

I did a little research on the targets last night. Remember these are voluntary targets. I know from many discussions with legislators that there is little desire to make them mandatory. These are only voluntary targets, created largely at the insistence of the administration for the Challenges for Change.

Total  Ed Spending    targets     

Fairfax     8,264,088                  137,376             
Fletcher    2,596,361                   28,105             
Georgia   10,321,868                 132,068             

These amounts are suggestions by the Vt. Dept. of Education that districts reduce spending. School districts statewide were asked to cut anywhere between .05%-3% totally $23 million. The supervisory union is Fairfax, Fletcher and Georgia while the legislative district is Fairfax and Georgia. Our district, especially the legislative district (Georgia/Fairfax) has a long history of frugal spending and has always been under the statewide average. Gary and I repeat this in Montpelier every chance we get. I am very proud of the work of our school boards and will work against making these targets mandatory.I have always felt that the decision as to how  much to spend on schools should be a local one. The state should not be telling local voters how much to spend on their own schools. 

I don't know yet the impact of the new federal plan to give Vermont $19 million for teachers, but it may eliminate this request for reduction. It would be for one year only.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives
« : August 06, 2010, 07:14:03 PM Carolyn Branagan »

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: