Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:49:35 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Good News - Summer Is Not Over With Yet
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Good News - Summer Is Not Over With Yet  ( 11213 )
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #15 : September 01, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »

Not being a superstitious or religious person at all, I dont really put any stock in the, "If we have nice weather now, we'll pay for it later" type of sayings.  So that sort of thought never crosses my mind.  But sometimes I do think in winter that when I complain about it being too cold, that I'll actually miss winter when I'm later sweltering in 90 degree heat, so maybe I shouldnt be complaining. ;)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
mirjo
: 785

« #16 : September 02, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »

How about this angle?  Do you feel guilty about enjoying the warmer/hotter weather since it is "normally" not this hot in Vermont, on average, allegedly due to the effects of climate change, global warming, etc.  Just curious.

Trust me Jason, Vermont has seen hot summers  long before the climate change argument! This type of summer hasn't been around for a few years though. The last one I recall being this warm was in 1995--we had some 100 degree days in June that year, if I remember correctly.

What's different, is how cold our winters are not getting! I'm not that old, but I recall much heavier snow fall when I was a kid and far colder temps that lasted longer than they do now. December-January were generally down right frigid with a thaw coming somewhere at the end of Jan for a day or so, but then it was cold. either below zero cold or teens & 20s cold. Some winters were very snowy and some I recall rainy, which meant ice everywhere.

Now it seems like the majority of winter temps are most often in the 30s the snow comes, but doesn't stay for long before melting down. (at least in this area, I can't speak for other areas of the state) January seems to be the only month with harsh temps and it's all usually lifting by the end of March.

Of course there have always been exceptions to the above scenarios and there still are, but winter is definitely the season with the most marked change if you ask me.

I don't feel guilty about enjoying a nice summer and I don't complain about it either, since there have been plenty that were not so nice in recent years!

I started this whole thing because I thought it was interesting that people tend to feel there is a pay back for nice weather. I didn't expect the turns it took. I was thinking more along the lines of the laws of physics: In my mind it seems reasonable that the weather patterns from season to season would react to the one before it in some manner, since it's all interconnected. (I don't know if does, but assume so) A period of low precipitation would set up a period of greater precipitation (either in the form of rain or snow)--I don't have a clue if that logic really applies or not, but it seems that this would be where people got the notion about payback...;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #17 : September 02, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »

Speaking of low precipitation - Has anyone noticed how low the Lamoille River is down near Steeple Market?

Henry Raymond
7F24
: 253

« #18 : September 02, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »

"how low the Lamoille River is"

I've lived on this river for over 20 years, and I'm seeing sandbars I don't remember seeing before.  Either I'm losing my memory or the water is really low.
Doyle78
: 46

« #19 : September 03, 2010, 06:12:43 AM »

what is that old saying about vermont, "if you don't like the weather just wait a minute and it will change."
Shadylane08
: 125

« #20 : September 03, 2010, 07:36:54 AM »

I thought the lamoille looked pretty low the other day, but I drove up thru Montpelier last night and I couldn't believe the Winooski river between montpelier and east montpelier.  I've got family that live in Marshfield so I've been driving and fishing this section of river for years, and I don't think I've ever seen it this low!  This late summer weather is nice and all, but it puts a hurtin on the trout and other cold water fish in the rivers!
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #21 : September 03, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »

Mirjo, I took your initial question to be more of a metaphysical/philosophical one, rather than physics-related.

I've read a couple articles recently stating that this year has been the warmest year on record world-wide (average temps), since people started keeping complete records.

Mill Brook is definitely looking low.  I do all my watering by toting water by hand from it, and it's getting hard to fill up my watering can in the places I usually use.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: