Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:38:44 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Thoughts & Musings From Pastor Liz
| | |-+  I remember; you remember; we remember...
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: I remember; you remember; we remember...  ( 15600 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : May 27, 2010, 07:21:11 AM »

-Years later, on the road to healing and wholeness, a journey which will never end he wrote:
I give thanks to God for always helping me to see the brighter side of everything. Even in the darkest time of my life when I almost gave up and thought life was over. God made me realize and see that I have a reason to live a life guided by him.
I have never met him; but I will never forget him; never forget his smiling, joyful face on the back cover of his book A LONG WAY GONE --a book so horrific I could barely read it.
As a boy of 13 his family had been killed by the rebel army, and  he became  caught up in civil war that shattered Sierra leone; caught between army soldiers and rebel soldiers with neither home nor safety nor shelter nor adult guidance; a young boy adrift in a world torn by violence.
He  took up with the Army who provided food and protection from the other who had killed his family. It was that or be killed and  at 13, how do you choose?
And after food and shelter he was given training..with an AK 47 .
And  then he was given  little white pills and brown-brown --cocaine/gun powder -- and sent out to kill or be killed.
He had seen the deaths of his mother and sister; he had seen bloated and mutilated corpses;  now he saw his friends killed at  his side; now  saw and participated in violence no human, let alone  child, should either witness or participate in.  He  lived a drugged out horrific life until  the civil war ended and he became involved in lenghty and difficult rehab through UNICEF.   And because of  God’s grace, his  own will and determination, and the help of many mentors who saw his gifts, he came to the United States, finished high school and college and now he speaks around the world--from churches to the UN to the Marine  corp--about child soldiers, about working for peace among all peoples.  He wrote;
If we think of the future positively, our actions towards that future will be positive. Everyone can make a difference. You don’t have to be rich or famous to do so. If one person can change the way they interact with other people, no matter who they are or where they are from, that makes a big difference. ...--I remember Ishmael Beah.
One thing was a guarantee.  whenever you came into her presence, whether she was in her kitchen cooking, at the table playing dominos, or in bed in the nursing home, she always  made you feel welcome and  loved and special--even though in her later years, she was often in pain.
She didn’t have a mean bone in her body, and never did a mean word pass her lips.  She raised her children with care and love and devotion; she  loved all her grand and great grand children unequivocally; was devoted to her husband, served her church, and  shared her talents as a quilter, and cook. She had a beautiful smile and a sweet laugh. To me she was a woman who encouraged and supported and nurtured. 
Her cards  to us always came with a kind note.  In fact, still  posted on my bulletin board is the anniversary card  she sent us  several years ago
  A capable woman, who can find?  She is far more precious than jewels. ..a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised..Give her a share of the fruit of her hands, and let her works priaise her...  Proverbs 31-- I remember Ivy Ovitt

If there was something to be done--for the church, for his neighbors, for the school- he was there to help, though he balked at rummage sales--that was for the women he thought.He  was the little man who helped.
Few if any people knew that over the years he spent most of the little  money he had  sponsoring countless children through various agencies around the world;  the lives of at least 20 children are a little better life because of his generosity and  sense of Christian mission.
He had few material possessions, but many treasures-- mostly cards and notes and prayers from caring people whose lives he had touched across the northeast.  Every Easter he would  buy a lily to, as he said, “remember the buddies I lost on Okinawa.”  That event was long past, but it was still part of his memory and  had informed the rest of his life.
He served in WWII but he hated war; he hated violence; he just couldn’t or wouldn’t understand. Every week, when Chad D. was in Afghanistan, he would be sure to  ask Paula how he was doing; how she was doing.
and they shall beat their swords in to plow shares and their spears  into pruning hooks.  Isaiah 2: 4 I remember Marvin Nelson

We never knew his name; but we knew he had to go to work;  machete in hand, he was walking to the spot where the truck would pick up him and his companeros and take them to the banana plantation where he would spend the day cutting bananas that would undoubtedly end up in some US market.
Though his clothes were mud-caked, his hands and face were clean.
And his face,I remember his face, brown, rimmed with straight, shiny black hair,contorted with a pain he was trying to conceal.
On his leg was an ugly and dirty wound, probably from his machete.
We stood around as Vicki one of the doctors on our trip to Honduras extracted a bar of elegant  pink soap from her pack and soaped up and washed his leg with her hands with the stagnant water of a horse fountain She wept as he left, because she knew the depth of his pain, and  the futility of her gesture; and yet, he was thankful.  -Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”  Matthew 25: 40
--I remember that unknown compesino in the mtns of Honduras.

Who would we be without our memories??? Our individual memories and our collective memories shape our values and attitudes, inform our understanding of our world, and connect us with the traditions of the past.
All the great secular holidays,  all the great religious holidays are times  of remembrance, times when we think about and reflect on  the events and  the people that have formed our consciousness as family--as community-- as country-- as faith group
All the great secular holidays, all the great religious holidays are moments in time when the past memories  become real once more, and are for a brief moment  more important than the immediate present
  our shared memories, and our shared heritage create among us an unbreakable  bond that neither time nor human activity can destroy.
--where is self without memory;  without memories of the past events and places and people to shape our present and inform our future we are creatures adrift in time.
 some memories perhaps we would rather neither have nor recall--memories of sadnesses, past behaviors, trauma, -
-mmy mother never spoke of her childhood;  my father in law, along with many of his generation, rarely if ever spoke of  his world war 2 experiences.  and similarly many will not speak about Vietnam or Afghanistan or Iraq -but
-even if  we choose to dismiss those memories, bury them deep in our consciousness, forget them,  hide them. they shape our present reality in how they direct our life choices, our sense of self, of community;
Our memories help define us;  our memories anchor us in  reality.  It was important for Ralph Ellsworth to recount how life on the Fletcher Road had changed in the 80 some odd years he had lived in the same house on the same farm; and it was important for me/for his family/for the community to hear those stories.
Memories un-shared are dust in the closets of our mind;   memories unshared isolate us from the each other and from our common past.
Memories shared create a commonality of purpose and culture of value and meaning.  And so it is good and necessary to  come together to remember the remembering together forges a community linked by a shared past. We cannot think about where we wish to go unless we can know and  remember where we have been.
Unless we remember and understand and examine the memories of our collective past-- as family, faith community, nation-- we cannot work toward a vital and hopeful  future. So we come together--at picnics and parades and other gatherings--to remember the wars; remember the loss; and with hope and trust, move on into a future where those memories can become the building blocks to a more peaceful world.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : May 30, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

Ok REV,

That is 2 in 2010 and it is soon the 6 month.

Better get busy!!!

Rev. Elizabeth

« #2 : May 31, 2010, 05:10:26 AM »

Okay, okay.......gotcha!
Mike Raburn

« #3 : June 09, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »

I sorta scimmed that post of yours...

I would say you are good until 2013.

Did you REALLY type that out?
If so,,,,KUDOS!
Rev. Elizabeth

« #4 : June 10, 2010, 06:58:58 AM »

Yes, Mike, I did type that out; write that; think that.  It is an original....not copyrighted, however.
sue
: 124

« #5 : June 10, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »

Awesome!!!!  And sooo true...Great thoughts..Thanks for making the rest of us think...
Mike Raburn

« #6 : June 18, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »

Any Cliff Notes available???

No disrespect.....
Rev. Elizabeth

« #7 : June 22, 2010, 05:00:06 AM »

..noooo, Mike.  Read it in sections!  Next time, 25 single syllable words just for you...but you will have to find them!
Mike Raburn

« #8 : June 26, 2010, 01:14:04 AM »

I need single sillyable word.....

Mike Raburn

« #9 : July 01, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »

JUNE 30th UPDATE....

1/4 of the way read and I am whipped,,,,need to rest.
The brain is taxed, it don't take much......
Rev. Elizabeth

« #10 : July 01, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »

Okay, okay, Mike.  The next one will be shorter.....
Mike Raburn

« #11 : July 01, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »

Give me a few more weeks to get through this one!!!!!
Please.
Mike Raburn

« #12 : July 18, 2010, 01:48:47 AM »

Ok, done.

WOW!

A buddy of mine  from the Navy became a "priest". Episcopalian....
Shocked the heck outta me.

I went to his "coronation".

It was really interesting. Serious, it was really interesting.
Rev. Elizabeth

« #13 : July 21, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »

Thanks for reading it all, Mike...
Mike Raburn

« #14 : August 28, 2010, 12:40:02 AM »

8/27 Rev

Post something new, ehya?
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: