Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:13:08 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  One Way Traffic At Bridge 10 Causing Congestion
« previous next »
: [1]
: One Way Traffic At Bridge 10 Causing Congestion  ( 6001 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 22, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »

Last night when I went down to the village in the 5 p.m. time frame, traffic on Route 104 was backed up down to Steeple Market.  I was not headed up Main Hill as a number of others weren't either, but got stuck in line.  It wasn't that long a wait, but people did have to wait as they were exiting Steeple Market.  I guess if I had been in line back as far as Swansons I would have taken the route over The Fairfax Falls Bridge home.

I suspect this will have an effect on Steeple Market and Foothills Bakery in the center of town.  A number of local people will develop their own detours over Maple Street, River Road, Boissoneault Road, Swamp Road, etc., depending just what their destination is.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : April 23, 2010, 01:11:18 AM »

What is the road right above Maple?
A Minor family lived across the brook from the Grand Parents....
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #2 : April 23, 2010, 04:46:31 AM »

School Street.

25 MPH on School Street !!!

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
trussell
: 870

« #3 : April 23, 2010, 06:10:11 AM »

School Street? How'd they come up with that name?

Thank you, I'll be here all morning...

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : April 23, 2010, 06:50:16 AM »

Maybe, because it led directly to the school?

Although, I don't know why Hunt St. wasn't named School St., since that is where the school is...

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Luap
: 26

« #5 : April 23, 2010, 07:03:13 AM »

It's called school street because the building next to Minor's house was once a school house.
mirjo

« #6 : April 23, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »

So...School St. is named such because it leads to the school...

I know BFA has been there since 1903, so the house you're referring to must be one of the smaller schools that populated the town prior to BFA being built?

That still leaves the mystery of why Hunt St. wasn't named School St.? Must be a family by the name of  Hunt got there before the school house?

Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #7 : April 23, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »

The house just above the school and before Lee Minors is the Hunt House.  The little one room school was right at the bottom of the hill where the road is on School Street and was moved and the road extended up to Hunt Street per the newspaper clipping below:

NEW ROAD TO NEW SCHOOL
(St. Albans Messenger - May 20, 1904)

The selectmen have laid out a road from School St. to the new school building. School house No. 5 will be moved and used for a storehouse for town tools.

(St. Albans Messenger - May 31, 1904)

It is intended to move the school house in district No. 5, which now stands partly in the road, known as School St., further back on the lot and use it as a store house for the road machines.

From the above discription, I believe the new road they laid out was the connection between School Street and Hunt Street beyond where the old school is presently located
« : April 23, 2010, 07:53:03 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #8 : April 23, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »

And let's not forget something.
Back before 9-1-1 changed everything, Hunt Street went from Rt. 104 to the corner in front of Marvin Thayer's vegetable stand. Turn right to go in back of school, you were on Spring Street, because there were mineral springs down in the woods. Turn left and head down through the covered bridge and you were/are on Maple Street, which also was called Parmalee Street around 1900, because Mill Brook was also called Parmalee Brook. Not sure why the name change.
Bear left but go straight onto what is now Cain Street, used to be Hunt Street Extension.
Of course, before 1833, that was actually the main highway through town as the bridge used to be downstream from where it is now. That bridge washed out and the replacement was built where the current Lamoille Bridge is now.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
upsy
: 26

« #9 : April 23, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »

Henry is correct. School Street started as a private right across private property from Main Street to the School House which was in the middle of what is now School Street. There were restrictions on exactly where the students could walk to get to the school. At some point the school was moved, the right of way became a Town Highway and the road was extended to Hunt Street. This was a very common thing for a school house to be built on private property with a right of way for the students to walk to the school. Schools did not own the property under them or surrounding them.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #10 : April 23, 2010, 10:29:14 PM »

Still looking for the "Sleek and Sexy Henry Raymond Boulevard" on google earth.
Cannot seem to locate it.

mirjo

« #11 : April 25, 2010, 06:02:23 AM »

Still looking for the "Sleek and Sexy Henry Raymond Boulevard" on google earth.
Cannot seem to locate it.

You might have to petition the select board for that Mike and then wait awhile before Google updates its satellite feed. :-)

: [1]  
« previous next »
: