Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:49:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Discounts For Cash
« previous next »
: [1]
: Discounts For Cash  ( 5933 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 17, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »

Not sure that I understand just what the legislature is working on in regards to credit cards, but I do know that Peter, up at Nan's told me that the Mobil Credit Cards do cost him.  I remember a number of years ago when it was permissable for businesses to give a discount if you did not use a credit card, but from what I understand, that is not an option now.

Rick also mentioned to me at one time that the cost of credit cards effected him and I notice that J & L has a sign up that requires a certain amount before it can be placed on a credit card.  Was down at Steeple Market a while back and high schoolers were in the store buying snacks with credit cards, which certainly must eat into Steeple Market's profits.

Someplace here on the forum I remember seeing where someone objected to stipulations being placed on businesses such as this.  Seems logical that such stipulations should not be made, giving businesses an opportunity to give a discount for cash if they wish as well as make stipulations on the minimum amount allowed for credit cards.

Henry Raymond
YouAnnMos
: 30

« #1 : March 22, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »

So, Henry, are you saying that it is not legal to have two different prices ?  One if paying by cash and one paying with a credit cards?
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : March 22, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »

I'm not sure whether it is illegal or not, but I do know that at one time you paid less with cash for gas than with a credit card.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : March 23, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »

I just did a search on the Internet and came up with numerous situations, particularly when it comes to gas where there are different prices being charged if you pay cash rather than use a credit card, much to the dismay of many customers who want to use their credit card.  I just googled credit vs cash prices.  Below is one link I got:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/07/22/cash.vs.credit/index.html

Henry Raymond
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : March 30, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »

I've heard of gas station that give a discount at the register if you pay in cash.   Nothing that is advertised, the store clerk just does it at the register. That resolves the "paying more than the advertised price without realizing it" complaint.  Not sure if anyone local is doing this or not, but it's a great idea.
special ED

« #5 : March 30, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »

I`ll tell you what if you offer to pay me in cash not a check but cash you will recieve one good discount
trussell
: 870

« #6 : March 30, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »

Gee thanks Ed.  NOW you tell me....

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
special ED

« #7 : March 30, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »

I heard you bought a lawnmower ?did you buy buckets too
al brodeur
: 216

« #8 : March 30, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »

two things
1 I have read in the local paper where mastercard and visa have the right to take the credit card account from a merchant for imposing a charge card minimum

also for a merchant to offer a discount for cash is another no-no

also the township that I live in here will allow you to pay your taxes with a charge card but you have to pay the 3%fee on the amount charged---makes it cost you for your bonus points
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #9 : April 01, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »

I believe the Bill that just passed the Vermont Senate allows businesses to set a minimum card purchase.

If al's local paper is correct, we could see a court case.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: