Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:03:38 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Walmart Wins Case - Can Build In St. Albans
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: Walmart Wins Case - Can Build In St. Albans  ( 40824 )
cestreet
: 37

« #15 : January 24, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

I'd like to point out that there are normal, average, every day people who are opposed to the construction of Walmart in St. Albans (myself among them).  I am not an extremist, a whacko, or an unreasonable person.  I will not apologize for my opinion on this, as unpopular as it may be among the posters here.  I want to let you know that it's not just some fringe group standing in the way of "progress." 

Also, I agree with Barbara Murphy's response to Celt in another thread regarding the pot shots at the town government and school on this web site.  Not productive, not helpful, not funny, and unsubstantiated criticism.  It's annoying.

Clarice Streets 
celts79

« #16 : January 24, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:22:32 PM celts79 »
cestreet
: 37

« #17 : January 24, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »

Don't worry, I have no intention of trying to stop you from saying anything.  No double standard here.  We can agree to disagree.  I do find your negativity and condescension annoying, but carry on as much as you want.  I'm a big fan of free speech!

Clarice Streets
celts79

« #18 : January 24, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:22:17 PM celts79 »
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #19 : January 24, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »

Looks like you all ran Celts79 off lol.  I do agree on the negative comments though it's easy to stand back and tell people they're screwed up if your not walking in their shoes.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
mirjo
: 785

« #20 : January 25, 2010, 12:19:57 AM »

Wow, miss a day, miss a lot. Although I totally missed it all,  I think it's unfortunate celts79 felt the need to remove the posts. If (his?) opinion was offensive to some (which I gather it was), so be it. He's entitled to think and say what he wants as are those of us who may or may not agree with it are entitled to agree or disagree with it.

I'd like to point out that there are normal, average, every day people who are opposed to the construction of Walmart in St. Albans (myself among them).  I am not an extremist, a whacko, or an unreasonable person.  I will not apologize for my opinion on this, as unpopular as it may be among the posters here.  I want to let you know that it's not just some fringe group standing in the way of "progress." 

Finally, someone else who is opposed to WM coming in. I'm not an extremest either and although I see and feel the need for a discount department store in this county, I am not a Wal-Mart supporter for a number of reasons, not the least of which being the fact that it is a vile corporation. In all of the hullabaloo over needing it to come here (a store, yes, WM, no) not one person that I have seen has ever questioned why another store similar to Ames was sought after for that vacant space, when Ames left 10-12 years ago?Perhaps there was at the time that I am not aware of, but nothing that I recall specifically. I haven't seen anyone question why WM is such a monopoly in this country, nor has anyone said anything about the fact that WM insists on building new huge stores and refuses to work within existing spaces (meaning, downsize some).  I admit I haven't followed this story too closely, because it's just ridiculous, but I find it disturbing that the majority don't realize what's actually coming.

Surely,  there was a better choice for cheap Chinese imports? I suppose when the store is built, St. Albans will pass its 1% sales tax like the other shopping Meccas in the state and we can all pay a 7% sales tax here too.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
cedarman
: 370

« #21 : January 26, 2010, 06:46:39 AM »

Sounds like you have the political process figured out Mirjo.

Walmart is by far the largest retailer in the world (larger the the other top 3 combined) for two reasons:
1) MOST people want the lowest price they can pay for whatever they desire (and they don't care where it comes from or how it gets there);   and
2) WM has the most efficient distribution network in the world - so efficient and well managed that college course study the walmart distribution chain as THE model of efficiency for supplying goods.

Buyer Beware - Walmart is NOT always the cheapest retailer for whatever you are looking to buy.  They might have the cheapest version of what you want, but if you want the brand name sitting next to it, it Might be cheaper somewhere else.
ohhman
: 469

« #22 : January 26, 2010, 02:37:40 PM »

OK! so let's look @ the positive here: more jobs to the area- from construction to employees, more revenue to the city...(certainly WM is paying a high price to build there,) more shoppers will go there rather than Williston & that will help the local restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, grocery stores, &  also, for sure more variety of products to choose from! People can still shop where they want; if you'd rather go to JCP & pay over $18. for 6 pr. socks rather than buy Haynes @ WM for $7., go for it! You can buy kids Garanimals & Carter's clothes there, Rubbermaid.... many name brands there & I agree shop around, but @ least there will be a choice & for that I am very happy.  Don't give them ideas about tax increase......they are getting a good piece of pie to begin with!  Let's not just knock the store for selling things made in China....that happens all over...ever look @ clothing labels??  many are made in Taiwan or places I've no idea where to heck they are.........that's really our own doings when things can be made so cheap somewhere else- with help from our government too.  Just like the big farms & apple groves that need to employ people from other countries, but yet unemployment here in VT is almost 7%....why is that?  How many sit & wait for their check to come without trying to help themselves because it's easier? Do you see many of these dependents clipping coupons like many of us do??!!  I am not talking of the elderly or physically disabled that can't work...... but MANY times I've been behind young people in the checkout line, (as I'm thumbing through my coupons), that just get the handout & expect it. 
I so love this forum...... from WM to china to coupons to ???????thanks Henry!!!!!
trussell
: 870

« #23 : January 26, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

Surely,  there was a better choice for cheap Chinese imports

I don't remember seeing an american car in your yard, Mirjo :D

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
JoeT
: 100

« #24 : January 26, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »

>>>
nor has anyone said anything about the fact that WM insists on building new huge stores and refuses to work within existing spaces (meaning, downsize some)
<<<

Not often, but it does happen, several times in Vermont, including Rutland.
« : January 26, 2010, 03:02:23 PM JoeT »
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #25 : January 26, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »

Here's a little story about a Walmart you may not know:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17803920/
« : January 26, 2010, 04:13:56 PM Henry »

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mirjo

« #26 : January 26, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »

FYI... trussell, my car was built in the US (and likely the parts in it too). I know this because there is a difference in maintenance costs for a Japanese made Honda.

I'm not going to rehash the pros & cons of Wal-Mart. Despite whatever arguments (and I really don't care THAT much, I am just opinionated like everyone else here)  it'll be coming to town. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't shop at Wal-Mart; however, that being said, considering how often I actually go shopping in an actual store, I'm not sure why I get involved in these discussions! ??

Thanks for the lively and entertaining POV's :D

gpdvt
: 56

« #27 : January 26, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »

Not a Walmart fan, so I simply don't shop there. I have many reasons why, but the most basic is I just don't like the atmosphere of the stores. I value service, organization and cleanliiness..all things Walmart, generally doesn't offer at the level I like. They obviously serve a need..just not my needs. Will be interesting though to see how they affect St. Albans in respect to traffic problems, accidents and petty crime..definately a magnet store for shoplifting. Hope the taxpayers in St. Albans have no problems raising taxes to pay for that. While they are charitable(what corporation isn't??) the excuse of job creation is pretty lame. They(and most retailers) tend to keep the bulk of their employees at a "part-time" status, so there are no benefits needed, and at minimum wage its not like they are giving people a liveable income. But, I guess, something is better than nothing.
DrewCrash
: 104

« #28 : January 26, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »

i like green eggs & ham.
mirjo

« #29 : January 26, 2010, 10:20:27 PM »

Sam I am!

: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
: