Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:22:59 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Walmart Wins Case - Can Build In St. Albans
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3 4
: Walmart Wins Case - Can Build In St. Albans  ( 40284 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 22, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »

Judge Thomas Durkin issued a ruling Thursday upholding the Act 250 permit issued in April 2008 for JLD Properties and Walmart.

Barring an appeal, construction of the project could begin as early as April, according to developer Jeff Davis this morning.

Durkin made some minor changes to the permit incorporating the agreements reached between JLD and the City of St. Albans and between JLD and various parties regarding stormwater.

Stephen Holmes, of the Vermont Natural Resources Council (VNRC), the leading appellant in the case, said VNRC is still reviewing the decision and consulting with its fellow appellants Northwest Citizens for Responsible Growth, Marie Frey and Richard Hudak.

“We’re disappointed in the court’s decision,” Holmes said. “We still feel the project violates both Act 250 and the town by-laws.

Read more if you wish by clicking on the following link:

http://www.samessenger.com/NewsView.asp?ID=5799

Henry Raymond
ohhman
: 469

« #1 : January 22, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »

It's about freakin time!!!! No appeals should be allowed as this has gone on long enough!  Look at the revenue that has been lost in their years of dispute as LOTS of locals have traveled to Williston to shop.  I am one that hopes it FINALLY happens!!!  wooohoooo!
fletchtb
: 310

« #2 : January 22, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »

I will second that. I would like to see Wal-Mart in St. Albans.
treebeard34
: 103

« #3 : January 22, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »

Wow they must be dancing in the streets( except for the 5 people who held it up this long)

Mark Teague
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : January 22, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »

I think one of them died, but the other 4, I am sure they are working on an appeal.

Henry Raymond
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #5 : January 23, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »

I was told at some point that some of the major opponents to the St A Walmart were members of the business association out in Williston... Apparently they were worried about loss of business out there if there is a Walmart put in up here... Seems stupid that people who don't even live in Franklin County were able to hold the project up this long... St A has many businesses, not many of them good, and few who will actually be impacted by Walmart... (Gee, anyone get tuxes, tattoos or bulk oats in Walmart? Don't think so...) If Walmart was in St A I would have no reason to go to Williston anymore... I hope the idiots who are holding this up shut up and let this resource come to our area... think of the people in Fairfield, Enosburg and Sheldon who have to travel 45 mins plus to get a fishing pole, bath towels, or a picture frame... sheesh... Welcome Walmart!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #6 : January 23, 2010, 02:11:48 AM »

I wonder what the big deal was. The major box stores comply with storm water issues by putting in huge oil water seperators under their parking lots. Google Home Depot, EPA, parking lot.
Personally, I will not set foot in a Walmart.Too damn crowed!!!!!

And too many of this
 www.peopleofwalmart.com. 

See ya'll real soon, eh ya.
celts79

« #7 : January 23, 2010, 07:10:21 AM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:23:01 PM celts79 »
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #8 : January 23, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »

I have to take issue with your remarks about BFA Fairfax students.  As pastor I have, over the years seen many many youth from the school; as wife of teacher and coach I have met many many young people from the high school and middle school; as habitue of the library I have encountered many more.  All I have met, and will meet--regardless of their academic abilities-- are pleasant, decent, interesting young people who graduate, go on to college, or the military or work.  Undoubtedly there are troubled youth around; but those young people are part of our world and I know the school does its very best to help them with the problems that beset them.
celts79

« #9 : January 23, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:23:13 PM celts79 »
Mike Raburn

« #10 : January 23, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »

Taxes for schools benefit the community.

I am a product of the Anchorage School District.

(Hit me T-Man, ED, anyone else? Let it fly!)
celts79

« #11 : January 23, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:23:27 PM celts79 »
Mike Raburn

« #12 : January 24, 2010, 03:15:04 AM »

Celts,
I was speaking of the OVERALL Public School System. It benefits our society to have an educated population.
What the individuals do after that is up to them.

I am surprised you didn't pick up on the school district I am a product of.
I left an open door there for all.

GO TEAM!!!
celts79

« #13 : January 24, 2010, 07:10:58 AM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:23:40 PM celts79 »
slpott
: 457

« #14 : January 24, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »

I think in any school district there is something to be learned. In my opinion and my opinion only it is still the parents responsibility. If a teacher is not a good match for your child, make a change. If your child is struggling, seek a change. I have not heard anyone taking any blame except for throwing it on the schools. Go volunteer and make a difference. I have 2 kids with different special needs. Is the school a fix all too. If so they have not done a thing for me because I still have 2 kids with different special needs. It is not up to the school to better my child, it is up to them to teach and up to me to make them ready learning. i,e, staples, medication, therapy. Whateve they need to be ready to learn and the teachers can do that. Manners and respect being one of my most important ones.
: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
: