Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:47:38 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  The 17 Cents Tax On Plastic Bags Caught My Attention
« previous next »
: [1]
: The 17 Cents Tax On Plastic Bags Caught My Attention  ( 4735 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 29, 2009, 10:25:06 AM »

A bill before the House Ways and Means Committee would charge consumers 17 cents for each lightweight plastic bag they take home. State Rep. Johannah Leddy Donovan, D-Burlington, was the lead sponsor among 19 legislators on the bill, which was introduced last session.

“The 17-cent amount seemed significant enough to catch the attention of shoppers,” she said this month. “If we are going to change behavior, we must have a tax that is going to be meaningful.”

Henry Raymond
msm
: 211

« #1 : November 29, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

Henry,

Are these the bags comsumers use when buying groceries at the local supermarkets ? and Discount stores

Interesting approach,  what's next ?  Cardboard boxes used for shipping most everything ?  Plastic Milk containers ?

Cans ?  Peanut butter jars ?  Newspapers ? 

Note,  I have purchased the reuseable clothlike bags and proud of my recycling efforts --- But 17 cents per bag ??

Mike M

Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #2 : November 29, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »

I have been using canvas bags to haul my groceries and most other items for at least 15 years now. It's not that hard to get in the habit of taking them with you or just keeping them in your car. For those who want to change, strong will is all it takes. For those others, a hefty price for a flimsy bag is the only thing that will change their habits. I would support a bill to charge even dollar or two for each one.
cedarman
: 370

« #3 : December 01, 2009, 07:52:43 AM »

So is this just another tax to help the state balance the budget, or will the taxes collected be used for recycling / environmental improvement programs (after the state removes a hefty cut for themselves of course).

I agree with Mike - this sounds like a "gateway tax".  If they tax everything heavily enough, maybe we can push everyone to grow/can their own vegetables (can't freeze them because plastic freezer bags will be too expensive).

I think having a deposit/return on ALL non-food plastic, glass, metal containers will keep way more material out of the landfill than this grocery bag issue. This would include all non-food containers: bottled water/juice, oil jugs, laundry detergent jugs, wine bottles, anti-freeze containers, etc, etc.  At least then, consumers can bring the containers back and get their deposits back.  IF they don't, I'm sure someone in need would be glad to do it for them.   Unfortunately for the state, that idea wouldn't generate any revenue and they would be forced to figure out how to recycle some plastics that are currently NOT accepted for recycling (unlike plastic bags which most large retailers accept for recycling).
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : December 01, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »

I like your idea cedarman - The 5 cent bottle return isn't big, but you won't find any soda bottles in my trash.  I am sure some sort of deposit & return could be worked out like you say.

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #5 : January 15, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »

When we lived in Europe one of the biggest differenced I immediately noticed was they charge for their bags. Most europeans bring their own bags and fill them up while they shop. Space for carts are limited in small stores. The only problem here is the theft. I have bought numerous $1.00 bags from the grocery and always forget to take them back to be used. My problem. However, they are wonderful and I have found many uses for them. For me it would be the kick in the pants I need to try harder.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: