Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:13:18 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Shelly Would Very Much Appreciate It If You Told Her The Bears Are Sleeping
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Shelly Would Very Much Appreciate It If You Told Her The Bears Are Sleeping  ( 9249 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 13, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »

Henry:
I could not figure out how to post a picture so thought I would do it the old way. Do you think this is a bear? I found it by my back doors. Kinda gives me the creeps. I thought bears lived in the woods. ha ha Arn't they supposed to be sleeping? Let me know what you think considering I am your neighbor. Thank you, Shelly

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : December 16, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »

Most definitely Sasquatch!

Shelly, sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you (No pun intended) as it turns out, pregnant females are the first bears to hibernate,usually around the second week in December followed in turn by other females (by end of Dec) then males who hang around as long as there is food to be found (haha). The last to bed down for a long winter's nap are the young males (go figure huh? It's the food thing, the old guys give up a bit sooner!) :P So it seems that there will be bears around until sometime in January.

I'm not a bear expert, I just did a little quick research on hibernation habits.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
slpott
: 457

« #2 : December 16, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »

So, do you think it is a bear print?
mirjo

« #3 : December 16, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

I'm not a tracking expert, but it sure looks like one from those I have seen.

mirjo

« #4 : December 16, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »

Unless it's a dog with a fat paw, I'm not sure what other animal has such a wide paw and claws?

It wouldn't be unusual for a bear to be out and about now so...

There mucst be a hunter out there who can weigh in with an expert opinion?

slpott

« #5 : December 16, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »

I have 2 large english retrievers but they only have 4 toes. Not sure what to think.
special ED

« #6 : December 16, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »

shelly ,how big would you say they where?
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #7 : December 16, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

I'll just stick your paper in the mail this month.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
CLach
: 98

« #8 : December 16, 2009, 06:28:30 PM »

theres been some bear tracks down on Megan Rd as well lately...yes looks just like those posted.  Someone tell him I dont have the picnic basket
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #9 : December 16, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »

I think I will be whistleing real loud when I go get my Messenger in the dark - or maybe I will wait until morning - Maybe I need to add some new sensors for my security lights - I know there are bear down back as Linda Tracy's brother shot one a while back.  Click on the following link to see the photo I took of it:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=2233.0
« : December 16, 2009, 07:36:28 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #10 : December 17, 2009, 01:52:48 AM »

That was ED out walking bearfoot.  OWWWWW ANOTHER PUN!!!
slpott

« #11 : December 17, 2009, 06:30:58 AM »

If it was Ed that would make me feel a lot better. The print was probably about 3" if I had to guess. 3x3 or something like that. Thank you all for sharing. I have a pretty sterile yard and the garbage is kept in the garage. If there is no food do you think it will come back to get me, my kids and dogs??????Just kidding but I do think of it every time I go outside at night. Is it better to make a loud noise and will it scare them off? Anyone know?
Suzy
: 429

« #12 : December 17, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »

Could it be a fisher cat?  The back pad doesn't look big enough for a bear track.  (It is a good idea to let bears know if you're coming...they're  usually pretty shy and like to avoid humans)

Here's four grizzlies all together in Grand Teton National Park.  A mama and her three cubs.  I hope you like them! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4uC3NgFlc

Suzy
« : December 17, 2009, 09:22:40 AM Henry »
Shadylane08
: 125

« #13 : December 17, 2009, 08:41:29 AM »

Sounds like kinda a small track to be a bear track.  Do you remember if all the tracks were the same size and shape?  A bears front paw will be rounded like the ones in the pictures, but their rear paws will be more oblong shaped.  As for being nervous about them being around, bears are more scared of you then we are of them if you can believe that ;)  They'd be gone as soon as you open your door.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #14 : December 19, 2009, 05:57:08 AM »

I have had a few Black Bears around here and the tracks do show the nails as they walk.

I cannot imagine ANY bear tromping around this time of year.... AL GORE

I would think it is a cat like SUZY mentioned

If you THINK it is a bear, just make a lot of noise.
Blackies do not usually attack EVEN if they have young around around them.

The Mama and babies I ran across two years ago paid me no attention.
Black bears are mellow.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: