Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:22:45 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  removeing a tick
« previous next »
: [1]
: removeing a tick  ( 6361 )
special ED

« : December 03, 2009, 05:49:32 AM »

does anyone know the right way to remove a tick that has dug into you body?
slpott
: 457

« #1 : December 03, 2009, 05:56:04 AM »

I have never had to do this but my grandmother used to say to light a match and burn its hiney and it will back out. Most important is to get the head out. I bet Dr, Vrba has the tool for getting them out of dogs. I would also recomment having a Dr. do it or look at it to make sure you do not get lime disease depending on the type of tick. Dr. Vrba would be able to tell you what she has been finding on the animals. Gotta love hunting. Good luck. S
special ED

« #2 : December 03, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »

well I do know that lighting thier butts on fire will make them dig in deeper LOL...
MR32

« #3 : December 04, 2009, 07:46:57 AM »

How about this... put alcohol on the bugger, let it woozy, and pull it gently out with tweezers while it is passed out. If the head happens to get separated during the procedure, just let your puss build up behind it and squeeze it out in a few days, or excavate it out with a sharp implement after consuming some of the alcohol.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #4 : December 04, 2009, 08:30:37 AM »

... that's disturbing..... 'excavating' the head out... as in dig with an impliment and scrape the excess material away/out........

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
MR32

« #5 : December 04, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »

Yup, that is if Special Ed is.. you know... can do it.
mary
: 32

« #6 : December 04, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »

Maybe this will help:  Albany County Dept. of Health >  Removing a Tick : A tick has bitten you and is embedded in your skin.
Now what?  Don't panic.  Your chances of acquiring Lyme disease are low if the tick is removed during the first 24 to 36 hours after attachment. Remove the tick promptly and properly:

Using tweezers, grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible.
Gently pull the tick in a steady, upward motion.
Wash the area with a disinfectant.

When trying to remove the tick:

DO NOT touch the tick with your bare hands.
DO NOT squeeze the body of the tick as this may increase your risk of infection.
DO NOT put alcohol, nail polish remover or Vaseline on the tick.
DO NOT put a hot match or cigarette on the tick in an effort to make it "back out."
DO NOT use your fingers to remove the tick.
These methods do not work and only increase the likelihood the tick will transmit Lyme disease to you. Applying alcohol, nail polish remover, or a hot match can irritate a tick and cause it to regurgitate its stomach contents into your skin. The stomach contents of a tick can contain the Lyme disease-causing bacterium.

Instead of tweezers, you may also use a special tick removal device, which is usually shaped like a slotted spoon. These tick removal devices can be purchased at a pharmacy or other retail outlet.

Under no circumstances should you try to remove an embedded tick by using your fingers. It is better to wait a little while, if necessary, until you have access to tweezers or a tick removal device and remove the tick properly, than to increase your risk of infection by trying to remove it with your fingers.

While removing a tick, if the tick's mouthparts break off and remain in your skin, don't worry. The mouthparts alone cannot transmit Lyme disease, because the infective body of the tick is no longer attached. The mouthparts can be left alone. They will dry up and fall out by themselves in a few days, or you can remove them as you would a splinter.

After cleaning the area, watch the site of the bite for the appearance of a rash 3 to 30 days after the bite. The rash will usually be at least 2 ½ inches in diameter initially and will gradually expand to several inches in size. Rashes smaller than the size of a quarter are usually a reaction to the bite itself and do not mean you have Lyme disease.

Above all, be patient. Firmly embedded ticks are difficult to remove and it may take some time.

MR32

« #7 : December 04, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »

I like that part where it can regurgitate it's stomach contents into your skin. Hey If i had fingernail polish remover dumped on me I would probably do the same thing.
slpott
: 457

« #8 : December 04, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

Ed, sorry for the bad advise. It all makes sense though. Why do we have ticks anyway? What purpose do they have? Does anyone know? I will have to google it. Take care
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : December 04, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »

Bathe. Use soap.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: