Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:38:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Mason Members & Mike Cain Remove Old Chimney From FHS Museum
« previous next »
: [1]
: Mason Members & Mike Cain Remove Old Chimney From FHS Museum  ( 4551 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 17, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »

Members of the Masons, Corey Hinton, Jeffrey Broe and Wayne Sweet and FHS President Mike Cain removed the chimney from the attic of The Fairfax Historical Society Museum on November 15, 2009:

These old chimneys were sometimes called "Shelf Chimneys"

They were more economical to install and underneath the chimney there was usually a closet

A stovepipe from the downstairs went up through a hole in the ceiling of the first floor and the heat from that stovepipe used to help provide some heat for the upstairs

Of course creosote could make quite a mess in these upstairs rooms

Jeffrey Broe is shown crawling up through the entrance to the attic of the old museum

Corey Hinton, Jeff Broe and Wayne Sweet shown in front of the old bricks from the chimney

and in this photo, Corey Hinton, Jeff Broe and Mike Cain

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : November 18, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »

Why did they remove it?  Was it going to topple?

Thanks for all you do, Henry!  I loved the photos of the "Over 90 Club" too!  Thanks for brightening my day!

Suzy
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : November 18, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

Yes, it was leaning badly and they were afraid it would fall over and go through the ceiling into the museum.

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #3 : November 18, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »

Many, many thanks to Wayne Sweet for being the clerk of the works on the museum restoration project. He's done a great job!

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Lilone
: 81

« #4 : November 19, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »

How come the chimney sat up so high? I have never seen one like this
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : November 21, 2009, 02:12:36 AM »

How come the chimney sat up so high? I have never seen one like this

Olden days....

Mike / Henry,

Would the heat actually radiate DOWN??

Them there bricks you all salvaged are pretty interesting. The HISTORY behind them bricks.......amazing.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: