Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:53:24 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Governor Jim Douglas Not Running In 2010
« previous next »
: [1]
: Governor Jim Douglas Not Running In 2010  ( 6022 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 27, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »

Sources: Douglas not running 2010

MONTPELIER — Gov. Jim Douglas is expected to announce this morning he will not seek re-election in 2010.

Douglas, midway through his fourth term, will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. in the Governor’s Ceremonial Office in the Statehouse.

Multiple Republican sources have said they have heard the governor has decided against running for a fifth two-year term.

The career Republican public servant won re-election handily in a three-way race in 2008, gaining a majority of the vote in a testy campaign against Democrat Gaye Symington and independent Anthony Pollina.

But Douglas twice had vetoes overridden in the recently completed legislative session in a Legislature controlled by Democrats, losing fights over a same-sex marriage bill and a budget bill.

Democrats have lined up to challenge for the governor’s seat in 2010, including state Sens. Doug Racine and Susan Bartlett and Secretary to State Deb Markowitz.

The Burlington Free Press will provide live video stream of the governor's announcement.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : August 27, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »

The press conference can be viewed live at 11:00

http://www.wptz.com/video/20118093/index.html

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #2 : August 27, 2009, 11:24:14 AM »

Lt. Governor Dubie Issues Statement on
Governor’s Decision to Forego Fifth Term

(MONTPELIER, VT) – Lt. Governor Brian Dubie spoke with respect today in response to Governor Jim Douglas’ announcement that he will not run for re-election in 2010.

“I honor Governor Douglas today, and thank him for three decades of outstanding service to the people of Vermont. I would also like to thank his wife, Dorothy, and his entire family for living with the high demands that come with public service.”

Lt. Governor Dubie turned to the subject of the remaining sixteen months of Governor Douglas’ term, saying, “The unprecedented economic challenges that we now face as a state require that we all focus on working together, administration and legislature, in good faith, for the future of our state and its people. It’s what the people of Vermont deserve and expect from us.”

On the subject of his own political plans, Lt. Governor Dubie said, “The Governor’s announcement today changes the political landscape in Vermont. As Vermonters reflect on this new landscape, I will contemplate my options. Right now, I will focus on doing my job. I will discuss my plans when the time is right.”

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #3 : August 27, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »

Vermont GOP Issues Statement regarding
Governor Douglas' announcement not to seek re-election 

The Vermont Republican Party can't find enough words to thank Governor Jim Douglas for his lifetime of service to the state of Vermont and to the VT GOP. It is with both understanding and sadness that we learned of his decision not to seek a fifth term as Governor of the State of Vermont. We know we will miss his leadership, his experience and his calm judgment at the helm. We understand because anyone who has been working in public service since 1972 - and nobody works harder than Jim Douglas -- has put in his time and earned a break.

He won't get that break right away. We still have a very difficult sixteen months to go before the governor's term expires in January, 2011, including what will no doubt be a highly contentious 2010 legislative session. The Vermont Republican Party will continue to do everything in our power to support the Governor and the fiscally responsible policies that have been the cornerstone of his administration, and to further his efforts to put Vermont on a lasting, financially sustainable path.

Robert Roper
Chairman 

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
dearon
: 233

« #4 : August 27, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »

Heard it on tonight's news, how sad, a very good man with a good heart and head; hard to come by these days especially in politicians
« : August 28, 2009, 06:49:28 AM dearon »
David Shea
: 471

« #5 : August 27, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »

Chris,

Maybe it is time that we have a Republican candidate from Fairfax?

Now is your chance.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #6 : August 28, 2009, 03:08:58 AM »

RUMOR !!!!!!

CHRIS SANTEE is going to RUN for Vermont Governor.....

Chris, I may be able to get Sarah Palin to endorse you....!!!!!

Have YOUR people call call MY people.

slpott
: 457

« #7 : August 28, 2009, 05:32:59 AM »

Go for it Chris, you already have 4 votes here. We would love to see you in office.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #8 : August 29, 2009, 04:01:23 AM »

Chris.

Seriously.... if a po dunk mayor from Wasilla Alaska, with NO inherent  concept of right and wrong, no experience with public relations, no sense of COMMON sense can be the VP nomination for the UNITED STATES...........well....

You are from "po dunk" Fairfax. YOU have inherent concept of right and wrong, YOU have experience with public relations. it seems YOU have COMMON sense....run.
Or at least get some data and see how you would do.

Invite me to the Governors Mansion in Montpelier. I will pay my way!!!!

edakrupp

« #9 : August 29, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »

I'll vote for you as Governor!.

Since we are onto the next election issues, I'll put it out there - I was invited to run with Carol Branagan on her ticket with her as District 1 rep. I'm not sure what Gary Gilbert is going to do this election, but I thought I would give it a try. I love Fairfax and strongly believe that we need someone up there that can really advocate for Georgia and Fairfax, and I believe I have the backbone, education, and get it done attitude that is needed.

As for experience, I was state Parliamentarian in high school for VICA, I've run a small business, served as a public servant for 10 years as a teacher in Charlotte, and am attending school board meetings, and select board meetings to familiarize my self with the issues. But most importantly I am listening and talking to people, developing relationships and collecting their concerns so I can seek support and find the answers to help build this town to be the best it can be.
« : August 29, 2009, 01:25:52 PM edakrupp »
Chris Santee

« #10 : August 29, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »

You're a funny guy, Mike.

First off, our current governor has no mansion.
He has jokingly mentioned to me that at governors' meetings, when other governors ask about the Vermont mansion, Jim tells them he has a double-wide.

As to the subject of our next governor, I will gladly throw 100% of my support behind Brian Dubie, should he decide to run.
I have become much closer to Brian over the past year and two words come to mind.
Honesty and Integrity. But, you should expect that from an Air Force pilot.
He has presided over the Vermont Senate well, with 22 democratic senators out of 30.
Have you ever heard one complaint from the 22 ? No !
Brian is also very familiar with what it takes to get businesses to move to, or stay in Vermont and keep us employed.

Should Brian chose not to run, our Franklin County Senator Randy Brock is well qualified.
I would also support him 100%.
He is fiscally conservative and responsible.
As State Auditor, he saved us millions by clearing up accounting errors.
As one of only seven Republicans in the Senate, he is truly respected and his opinion is always sought out.
With the responsibility of a proposing $4B Budget, you may want a man with experience at Fidelity.
Randy Brock brings that to the table.

As for me, right now I've got a newspaper to do
and a golf tournament to run.

From the bottom of my heart, I do thank you for your support though.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #11 : August 29, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

and now, back to the thread.........

QUÉBEC PREMIER PAYS TRIBUTE TO JAMES H. DOUGLAS

Québec City, Thursday, August 27, 2009 – Québec Premier Jean Charest was sorry to learn today that the Governor of Vermont, James H. Douglas, will not seek another term as governor in the November 2, 2010 elections.

Governor Douglas has been a wonderful partner and friend of Québec. Under his leadership, relations between Québec and Vermont have thrived as never before. Meetings have been held every year at the highest levels.

"Over his four terms, the Governor has not only contributed enormously to his state, but has also infused Québec–Vermont relations with a unique focus and energy. We have worked together as a team for many years on many important international issues. He has been not only a great friend of Québec, but also a personal friend, and I am sorry to hear today of his pending departure," said the Premier.

Cooperation between Québec and Vermont has taken many forms, including joint efforts to preserve water quality in Lake Champlain, Missisquoi Bay, and Lake Memphrémagog, initiatives in green and renewable energy, and implementation of the Driver’s License Plus. Recently the Premier and Governor both spoke out in favor of heighted economic trade free from protectionism.

The Premier extends his best wishes to Governor Douglas and his family on their future endeavors.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: