Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:12:24 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  72 Year Old Guiding Like Soap Opera Will Not Find A New Home
« previous next »
: [1]
: 72 Year Old Guiding Like Soap Opera Will Not Find A New Home  ( 5740 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 24, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »

GL Will Not Find New Home
Brace yourselves, GL fans. It's official. TeleNext Media Inc. has released a statement confirming that the 72-year-old soap will not be picked up by another network, despite best efforts. "We promised our fans we would do everything we could to find a new home for the show. In the ensuing months, we have engaged in serious discussions with many networks, leaving no stone unturned in our effort to place the show elsewhere. Unfortunately, despite the urgent and dedicated efforts of many people, we have not been able to secure an outlet to carry the show moving forward. We are extremely disappointed with this outcome, but we are confident we have exhausted every possible option."

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : July 25, 2009, 12:59:27 AM »

My condolences.

I fear LAW and Order will face the same path soon.

Lenny!!!!!!!!!!
Lilone
: 81

« #2 : August 05, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

It's a shame. I wonder why this is going to happen?
dearon
: 233

« #3 : August 05, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »

I remember watching that show way back int the  70's when I was home with the kids.  When I started work I recorded it on our Beta machine as I didn't want to miss any episodes.  I'm so glad not to watch any more of the soaps, haven't done it in over 25 years, it was an addiction!
Judi
: 508

« #4 : August 05, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »

We don't watch soaps but we watch Henry! LOL
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : August 06, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »

I've watched GL since I was a kid, starting with my grandmother who used to "turn on the stories" around 2pm when ATWT came on as she was doing housework of some sort. I am still a loyal fan of GL now having recorded it during the years I wasn't home to watch. now I catch it online since I usually miss it.

I am not sure why this one was chosen to get the ax instead of shortened to 30min or another soap pulled that doesn't have the longevity this one has. I think B&B could have been yanked!

Why just target one soap and its fans? Just ax them all, let's be fair here! I am sure daytime tv will benefit & improve with more talk shows from comedians, actors, muscians wives, sort of psychologists--perhaps one called Lawyers, so we can have free legal advice. Is there a spectacle out there we haven't gawked at in the name of TV entertainment?

Soaps have long been chastised as being unreal/ridiculous/surreal or whatever--but it's TV in its purest form, not realityTV, it's supposed to be unreal, entertain, take you away from reality, that's the point!

I will miss watching GL after so many years. I completely enjoy the 40 minutes it takes to watch it. I like the characters--even those I haven't over the years, I admire the actor's ability to make me hate the character! I fear that the story lines will not be properly wrapped up and the fans will be left  to wonder what happened to the folks of Springfield--unless some mid-west tornado is going to strike the town and lay it to waste that last day.

I suppose I will amp up my vtgrandpa.com time after Sept. 18!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #6 : August 11, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »

August 11, 2009

The end of an era is approaching here on Channel 3. Today is the last shooting day for the CBS Soap Opera Guiding Light.
After 70 years on radio and T-V, the network canceled the soap because of declining ratings.

The final taping leaves Vermonter Beth Chamberlin without a job. The Danville native has played the character of Beth Raines for 20 years.

The last episode of Guiding Light is scheduled to air on September 18th.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: