Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:08:28 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  FF fire works and taxes
« previous next »
: [1]
: FF fire works and taxes  ( 5307 )
Mummy
: 280

« : July 01, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »

In my opinion, to ask the Town of Fairfax to support Fire Works from Taxes is not an appropriate request.

For three reasons:
1) As Judi stated, there are many folks who "double-up" within one house hold.
2) Your house value WILL be different from the other guys which means one person is paying more than the other guy.
3) Can you really ask the Senior's to pay more in Taxes to support 30-minutes of fun? 

This is not to say I don't enjoy the fire works.  Infact, I do enjoy them and attend but I also support the fireworks via donation containers.  I just believe that those of us who really enjoy them for our families should pay for them without asking Seniors, one home owner and an unfair amount on those who may or may not enjoy the entertainment.

I believe one suggestion would be to start donation container 6-months before July... Then those even from Fletcher, Georgia or Westford could donate as well!

But hey - that is just my two-cents!

Judi
: 508

« #1 : July 01, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »

" As Judi stated, there are many folks who "double-up" within one house hold."

Mummy, I am confused....when did I state that? 
mxdave
: 74

« #2 : July 01, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »

I shot Fireworks for fairfax for seven years with the help of the fire Dept. and a group of a small hand full of hard working volunteers. In the beginning we raised all our own funds from Calcutta's to donations. It's very difficult to raise $5000. with a small group. We have shot shows for as little as $3000. Having the town pay for the show with taxes seemed like the only fair way to do it and because it's a town show you are covered threw the towns Insurance, We have all our own equipment and thats why the show was so good for little money. I think it averaged out to about $3.00 a house hold. We are going to get rid of all our equipment due to a lack of interest and the economy, I'm glad to hear were missed.
mirjo
: 785

« #3 : July 01, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »

Too bad to hear you are getting rid of the equipment! I think the interest is out there, just not at the right place and time. It seems the big issue comes down to taxes and the idea that there is a huge $ amount per household going toward a fireworks show. It does seem as though it is an amount small enough, not to make any real difference to anyone's taxes(?), but perhaps it's not viewed that way. People view money very differently, someone will purchase an item for $15-$18 and view it as having spent $20 because the remaining change is insignificant after the $20 bill is broke. It seems to those folks what's $3 on my $2996 tax bill, because that last $100 is mostly gone anyway. Others probably view that remaining $3 or $4 as a loaf of bread or gallon of milk or whatever.

I do think interest in the fireworks will turn around, that someone will think outside of the box and come up with a compromising solution, so I urge the FD not to act drastically just yet!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #4 : July 02, 2009, 05:55:44 AM »

At town meeting interest in a show that is months away is light. NOW is when people want the show. Now is the time for a group of people to take the bull by the horns and start something for next year. All of the equipment used in past years does not belong to the fire department, but to Dave and his crew of volunteers. The fire department helped in safety and fire prevention for the show. Over the years Dave and his crew purchased the equipment on there own to put on the show. And now have been storing it all for 2 yrs collecting dust. Not knowing when a show may happen again I think Dave wants his garage back.

THANK YOU DAVE AND ALL OF YOUR CREW FOR THE NUMBER OF YEARS (AND OUT OF POCKET MONEY) YOU PUT INTO THIS.
« : July 02, 2009, 06:09:31 AM Henry »
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : July 02, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »

Ok ok, i see your point - it's time to stop talking/griping and time to start doing.  The local soccer club has opened their fundraiser to local youth and adult groups in need of additional funding.  There's would be a 60-40% profit sharing in favor of the group outside of the soccer club.  that would be $3 on every kit sold the outside group would earn. It's an idea - a handful of dedicated adults could raise 25% of what we'd need.  Combine that with the donation jars and you'd have a hell of a start to showcase for next town meeting day.

« : July 02, 2009, 08:19:45 AM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
cestreet
: 37

« #6 : July 02, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »

Mine is not a popular opinion amongst many of my usually like-minded friends, but it is strongly held.  While I completely agree that Fairfax needs to promote a sense of community, the cost-benefit for the fireworks simply isn't there in my mind.  To me, it is essentially lighting what amounts to TWO YEARS worth of my property taxes on fire.  It is impractical.  There is an active and dedicated group of people working to get a community center up and running in town.  An investment of $5000 in that effort would have a much more sustained an meaningful impact.  While I vote NO for town-funded fireworks at TMD every time, I would support something like that. 

Clarice Streets
trussell
: 870

« #7 : July 02, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »

Clarice,

That's a very interesting perspective, thanks for voicing it.  And we appreciate your community center support!

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: