Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:20:15 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  How long before a Fairfax street is visible on GPS, Mapquest, etc?
« previous next »
: [1]
: How long before a Fairfax street is visible on GPS, Mapquest, etc?  ( 3311 )
greenek
: 54

« : June 30, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »

We have lived in Fairfax for about 18 months, and are curious if there is a general rule or process regarding a street being visible on search tools such as GPS or MapQuest. When people from out of town ask for directions, I advise them not to use their GPS, and I give them the directions via e-mail or verbally.

We own a place in the Fairfax Green deveiopment, on Old Academy Street. I understand that since the development is not complete with a final coat applied on the road, that it has not been turned over to the town yet. Would that be a reason?

I assume that even though our street doesn't exist on Mapquest that it is still a valid E911 location? I know that when we called to initiate phone service at our house, Verizon had to call the town hall, to verify that our number was a valid location. Verizon said that it pertained to E911.

Not a complaint, just curious. -;)

Thanks,

Kevin
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : June 30, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »

I know the Northwest Planning Commission has Rich Street and Old Academy Street on their map, but I am completely ignorant as to how it gets to Google and Map Quest, or the 911 people.  Steve Bessette is our Emergency Management Guy and the next time I see him will ask him, or maybe he can check it out.  Maybe somebody familiar with that will come on and give an answer.

I rode down to Burlington with a friend of mine to The Elmwood Funeral Home.  Those GPS things are quite the invention.  We were not aware of exactly where the Funeral Home was, but had the address and it took us right there.  Of course those are all old streets, but it didn't take us the wrong way down any one way street.

Have been out mowing the lawn all day, but will try to get an answer for you Kevin.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : July 01, 2009, 08:09:34 AM »

Kevin,

I will try and get in touch with Skip Taylor today and see if he has any suggestions on sources I could contact.  Meanwhile, if you click on the following link, it will give you the latest map I know of at the Northwest Planning:

Henry Raymond
greenek
: 54

« #3 : July 01, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »

Henry,

Thanks for the update. As I mentioned, I was just curious. I understand that these things take time.

Kevin
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : July 01, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »

You made a good point Kevin - Good idea to used some old established landmarks for GPS & Mapquest -

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: