Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:53:57 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Maple Street Bats
« previous next »
: [1]
: Maple Street Bats  ( 2498 )
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« : July 02, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

When I would visit in the summers, we'd get badminton racks out and try to swat fruit bats after dusk.

Is Maple Street still crazy with bats????
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : July 03, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »

I believe that several of the old barns in the village were, or maybe still are a haven for bats.  I remember waking up one night when our oldest was just a baby.  We were living in the house where Ed Paquin lives now and there was a bat flying around in the house.  I grabbed an old window screen and swatted it down stairs and out the front door.  When we lived just outside the village at 80 Fletcher Road, bats would fly around your head as soon as it begun to get dark.  Not sure if there are still that many bats now, but out where I am, I have not seen any.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #2 : July 06, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »

We've been dreading finding out for sure whether or not this 'White Nose syndrome' has affected our bats.  We usually have 5-10 up under our trim on the side of the house.  Every 2 years we clean the siding of the house, and unfortunately, when we did it this year - to our surprise NO BAts came out - and they usually do.  We began to fear the worst until we went up in the attic - sure enough there were two who'd adopted the inside of our vent grate but outsideof the attic as their new home. 

I have noticed a marked drop in sightings since last year though.  They'd swoop on me at dusk if i was out there.  Thinking about a Bat box to try and build a new colony - as they Mosquitos they eat usually are flourishing.  All this rain and it's tendancy to help mold and mildew grow - CAN'T be good the bats with this new White Nose Fungus out there.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
special ED

« #3 : July 06, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »

i THOUGHT THIS POST WAS ABOUT BASEBALL
: [1]  
« previous next »
: