Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:33:41 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  28th Annual LCI Father’s Day Fishing Derby
« previous next »
: [1]
: 28th Annual LCI Father’s Day Fishing Derby  ( 4457 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 20, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »

Well, I know at least one Fairfax Resident (Bill Ormerod) will be out there.  He said he might even send me a photo or two.  If anybody else from the area is out there and wants to send me some photos, will be glad to do that for you.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : June 22, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »

Well, no photos from Bill, but here is the reason why:

"Henry,

I had a great weekend out on the lake, but unfortunately my cell phone decided it wanted to take a swim when I hopped off the boat Saturday evening. With the phone went the pictures I had taken.

I was not lucky enough to weigh in a placing fish, but was still pretty lucky to have spent a wonderful weekend on the lake with friends. I may head back out for a few more hours this afternoon, we'll see though."

Bill is the only one I have heard from out on the lake - Thanks Bill, sorry about the photos. (Oh and yes, the phone)

Have a great day.
Bill

Henry Raymond
Wormerod
: 44

« #2 : June 22, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »

I spent this morning in South Burlington at the Verizon wireless store. They took 30 min's to confirm that my phone was indeed dead, beyond hope, and that they had no utility to recover any of the lost content on my phone (contact book, pictures, other data) in it's current state. I sort of figured that they were going to have problems, as water was still occasionally dripping from the charger port.

After listening to the very nice sales person's pitch about how for a nominal purchase price and only 40 more dollars per month, I could have the best "Smart phone" on the market. That poor fella was really stumped when I asked him 1 simple question.... "But does it work after being dropped in the lake?". The answer was ...."Ummmmm I don't think so".

So, needless to say; I'm back to using an older phone that I already owned (I think it is so old, that it is actually only a phone) and I now have one more criteria when searching for my next new phone. I think I'm going to call it the "dock drop" test, or possibly the "LCI swim" test.

Have a good one,

Bill
cechinbass
: 16

« #3 : June 22, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »

Verizon does have a phone that is rugidized and waterproof. Seen a guy here at work that has one and put it in water and it still works.
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #4 : June 22, 2009, 02:19:17 PM »

I have sent two phones swimming over the years during the LCI. I guess I should just leave it at home.   No big ones this last weekend, but also nothing broken or lost.
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : June 24, 2009, 03:43:01 AM »

My daughter put a brand new phone in the washer (retrieved it before aggitation), but it was filled with water. We removed the battery and buried it in rice for about a week. when it dried out, it still worked! The battery doesn't hold a charge for as long, but the phone is fine. It had a SIM card so she didn't lose any info and it was so new that she really didn't have much info anyway.

The key is  to remove the battery ASAP and dry it out completely, use a hair dryer  to complete the process if necessary. I was amazed. It may not work in every case, but it's worth trying when life's little accidents occur. She put her SIM card in the old phone and used that until the other was usuable again.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #6 : June 24, 2009, 05:59:16 AM »

The first one I took swimming, I removed the battery and dried. It work after but wouldn't hold a charge but was able to take to Verizon and get all my contacts off from the phone and put on a new one. The second one I dropped over the side of the boat. If anyone gets a fish off of Goose Point with a phone in it I would like it back. It was about a month old when lost.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: