Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:05:06 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Announcements
| | |-+  Graveside Service for Bruce Meserve
« previous next »
: [1]
: Graveside Service for Bruce Meserve  ( 4264 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : May 27, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »

Bruce Meserve, formerly of Fairfax,  who taught mathematics at UVM for 19 years, and wrote many textbooks on mathematics,  died November 14 2008.
He was active in the Fairfax community, having been a member of the Masons and Eastern Star.  He had many fond memories of his Fairfax home and friends

Interment will take place on June 7 at 2 PM in Sandersons Corners Cemetery on Fletcher Road in Fairfax. 
 His second wife, Dorothy Meserve, predeceased him in 2004 and he will be buried alongside her.    Friends are welcome to attend the service.
al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : May 27, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »

may he rest in peace, I met Mr Meserve when my dad built his house on the Buck Hollow Rd in1965
when I returned from overseas duty. he also is the person who found the street in Canada with my names on them, in Cowansville
al brodeur
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : May 28, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »

Published: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:28 PM MST

BRUCE E. MESERVE, son of Bessie Adelia Bailey and Walter Joseph Meserve of Portland, Maine, passed away peacefully in his sleep on Nov. 14, 2008.

He leaves his first wife Gertrude Morey Meserve of West Hartford, Conn.; their older son Arthur Meserve and his wife Chris of Rochester, Minn.; their daughter Virginia Gartlein and her husband Christopher of Danby, N.Y.; and their younger son Donald Hart Meserve and his wife Cathy Meserve Hart of Scottsdale; former daughter-in-law Leslie Meserve; grandchildren Jennifer Baldwin, Karl Gartlein, and Daniel and Joy Hart Meserve; and step-daughter Elisabeth Spencer of Green Valley, who had been his primary caregiver since 2004. He also leaves a sister Doris Mann Whitten and her husband Maurice of Gorham, Maine; a brother Walter J. Meserve Jr. and his wife Mollie Ann Lacey of Brooklin, Maine; and 11 nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death in 2004 by his second wife of 43 years, Dorothy Tucker Meserve.

Born in Portland, Maine in 1917, he graduated from Bates College and earned Master’s and Doctoral degrees from Duke University. After serving as a Conscientious Objector in Civilian Public Service and in Europe in the U.S. Army, he taught mathematics at the University of Illinois for eight years, at Montclair State College for 10 years, and at the University of Vermont for 19 years.

He served as author or co-author of 38 mathematics textbooks for students grades 7 through graduate school. He actively supported professional educational organizations through service on numerous local, state and national committees; as President of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (1964-1966); and in lectures throughout the United States and in Canada, England, Germany, China and Australia.

In retirement he served 15 years as an AARP Tax Aide, as a mathematics teacher in AOL’s Ask A Teacher program, and on various committees of the Good Shepherd UCC.

Interment will be at Sanderson Corners Cemetery in Fairfax, Vt. In lieu of flowers remembrances may be sent to the Good Shepherd UCC in Sahuarita or the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : May 29, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »

Bruce was also active in some of the Fairfax Town affairs, but can't remember exactly what it.  He built a house on the right that set up on a knoll near the end of Meade Road on The Buck Hollow Road.  You can just barely see a little bit of the house from the Buck Hollow Road.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: