Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:05:24 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the day 4/26/09 and Blog- Tornados in Kansas
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the day 4/26/09 and Blog- Tornados in Kansas  ( 3271 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : April 25, 2009, 11:15:23 PM »

Pictures of the Day April 26, 2009

"I'm watching you! Stay away!"

Still two eggs!

TORNADOS IN KANSAS
As many of you know, I enjoy watching Breaking News. Good, bad, whatever, it's usually history happening before my eyes. And I am also interested in weather.
With spring come tornado weather in the midwest and parts of the southeast.
As I was working uploading pictures from the SX6 Big Truck day, I found on CNN.com, that activity at Kansas Speedway was halted by severe weather. They had a link to KMBC in Kansas City, that was providing live coverage about tornadoes in the area.
The ever-changing technology on the internet is great, as TV stations provide live coverage of events on their websites.
So for the last hour and a half, I have been listening and watching their coverage.
They had video from a couple of stormchasers that had to bail out of their vehicle because there was nowhere for them to go because the tornado was closing in on them.
The NASCAR truck race was halted because of an approaching storm, and was postponed until Monday. Now the Indy Racing League race set for Sunday afternoon is in jeopardy because it's supposed to rain.
I remember back when I first had Dish Network, I was able to get the ABC affiliate out of Nashville. One summer, they had a tornado hit Nashville, and I spent most of the evening watching their coverage of the day's events and their Doppler Radar tracking storms.
Maybe a bit morbid, but I do enjoy watching that kind of stuff. It's happening. Someone's covering it. Someone has to watch it.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : April 29, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »

That would be WKRN Channel 2, for the Nashville ABC affiliate.  And down here, storms with any potential for tornado spawnage take precedent over regular TV programming. 

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : April 29, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »

The thing I remember the most was after watching their coverage all night, was when I went to bed. As I was getting ready to crawl in, my fire department pager went off. I thought I was going to soil myself, I was so terrified. I still had images of home videos of tornadoes and voices of parents screaming for their children in my mind. I thought something end-of-the-world-ish was happening. It was a quick call. False alarm type of thing. I don't think we made it to the scene.
Same way I felt the day after 9/11. I was walking up to Betty Bellows' wake when Fairfax Rescue went flying through the village, sirens wailing. OH MY GOD WHAT'S HAPPENING? I thought. Calm down, I assured myself, no terrorist attacks here.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: