Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:22:19 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Why Push For Amtrack - No Real Advantages??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Why Push For Amtrack - No Real Advantages??  ( 4422 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 24, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »

Even if ridership on the Ethan Allen triples to 75 people per day with the extension to Burlington, it would still just be a fraction of the one thousand people who fly from New York to Burlington daily. As for cost, an Amtrak ticket on the Ethan Allen Express is about the same as an airline ticket from New York to Burlington. Travel time may also be a factor for train riders. It currently takes about five hours to get from Rutland to New York on the Ethan Allen Express -- about the same as driving by car.

They have tried for years to increase ridership, however I doubt it will ever be a profitable venture.  I know of only one reason to take the train - My oldest daughter will not fly, so it she goes to Florida, the family takes the train.  Any other advantages as far as cost, time, comfort - I don't see any.

Henry Raymond
Barbara
: 270

« #1 : March 24, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

Train travel is environmentally friendlier than many other methods of travel and I believe it is time to include that as an element of any equation as to the value of a transit system.  My daughter has used it several times to get home from DC and then back.  It is a long trip but often the price is substantially less than flying and she is able to do work on her computer during the ride since they have outlets to plug into.  I believe our country needs to take a long look at our infrastructure.  We have let our travel ways languish without proper repair for too long.  It is time to dedicate resources to the repair of our roads, bridges and railways.
edakrupp

« #2 : May 11, 2009, 10:49:56 AM »

I would love to see a rail line go from St.Albans to Burlington. With gas prices going up perhaps people would use local trains to go to work. The train to Charlotte-Burlington is a joke the train station is down hill and 1/2 a mile away from the town center. besides why would people in Charlotte need to take a train when they have the Shelburne Road express way? The people in St.Albans have a lower income base and would be more likely to try to say money on gas. Somewhere in my gut, it tells me that gass prices will rise again, enough to cause a burden on people who have long commutes.
 Distant train travel- well that's a different story.
jersea
: 8

« #3 : May 21, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

I am a supporter of Amtrak, riding between St. Albans and NYC.  I did not grow up in Fairfax and often use the train to go home NYC/NJ.  I find with an AAA discount, the ticket price is cheaper than the cost of flying, but still more expensive than gas.  For me, the train ride can be relaxing and provides time to study, plan curriculum, or just read.  I can’t complain about the ten hour ride, although I am sure many could.

As much as I believe in Amtrak, it doesn’t seem like there is enough community support.  I agree that to increase profit, we need to increase ridership, but are there enough people around committed to riding the train?  Isn’t easier just to get in your car and drive?  However, isn’t America about have alternative choices?  It is more green to ride Amtrak and if we road more, maybe this would leverage for better care of the infrastructure.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: