Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:46:42 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 3/19/09 and Blog-Newspapers
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 3/19/09 and Blog-Newspapers  ( 2749 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : March 18, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »

Picture of the Day March 19, 2009

St. Luke's Church and Rectory as seen from Main Street

NEWSPAPERS
One of the topics of discussion on Mike and Mike in the Morning, other than sports, was an article in Time magazine about the plight of newspapers. The Seattle Post-something-Intellegence/Tribune/Hearald/whatever, were no longer going to print newspapers, but be an online service only. Other newspapers may fold as well, because actual newspaper readership is down and advertisers are not spending the money. We all have seen the Burlington Free Press shrink.
I don't know about you, and your household, but when we first get up, whoever is up first, takes Rex out, and we retrieve the Free Press. It is then read over breakfast. Margie puts the TV on to get the weather then shuts it off. I put the TV on and put on either Mike and Mike in the Morning or the KTLA Morning News. I try to get Channel 3 local stuff just before the half hour. I also read the Free Press while having the morning bowl of cereal. After the Free Press is read, and breakfast is over, then I get on the internet and check my usual stops.
Many a person's most enjoyable part of the day is drinking that first cup of coffee while reading the paper.
However, more and more people-read-younger people- get their news from the net. They don't read a newspaper.
I really don't see the Free Press or Messenger shutting down the presses. Scaling back, maybe, but not completely. We are still out in the sticks, so to speak, and many older people do not have a computer.
So, we will wait and see.
One paper rumored to stop printing, is the Boston Globe. I used to get the Sunday Globe before Steeple Market burned, would consider getting it on a daily basis, if it were delivered here, but I have ranted about that already.
When history happens, newspapers are a wonderful keepsake. 9/11. This past election. Major storms. The Red Sox winning the World Series.
Printing a sheet of paper off the computer just isn't the same.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: