Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:46:12 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Daylight Savings - Set Clock Ahead & Change Your Batteries
« previous next »
: [1]
: Daylight Savings - Set Clock Ahead & Change Your Batteries  ( 2758 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 05, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »

Daylight Saving Time starts at 2 AM Sunday morning, March 8, 2009.  Don't forget to set your clocks ahead 1 hour, and also change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.

Henry Raymond
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #1 : March 05, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »

Thanks Henry, Everyone make sure to change the batteries in your Smoke and CO detectors, even hardwired ones have a battery back up. If everyone changed there batteries it would cut our calls down by 20-30 per year. Most of these detectors will go off in alarm if the batteries go dead.
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #2 : March 05, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »

Speaking of fire alarms ---  We live in a house where the fire alarms were not wired to an electrical circuit.  The fire alarms were installed in the bedrooms and in the basement but they were independent of one another.  To belabor the point if one alarm sounded the others in the house would not.   Well, I sort of like the idea of having the units tied together but didn't want to go through the hassle or the expense of placing them on their own hardwired circuit so I hunted around for an alternative. I came across units manufactured by First Alert.  These units can be linked together via RF so if one goes off they all do.  They are powered by two "AA" batteries which last two or three months.  Because the units are controlled by RF they are always "listening" for a distress call from one of its' peers hence the battery drain.  We have two in the basement, the bedrooms and the living area.   The batteries we use are rechargeable so when a pair runs down the unit "chirps" to warn us ( believe me it is annoying and you WANT to change the batteries ).  We change the batteries with a pair of charged rechargeable s and we are good to go.   Since we have a half dozen units we always seem to be changing one unit or another every couple of months at which time we always do a test.   The tests reassure us and our dog Meika gets a good howl.

PotterFXFDC1 -- Just wondering if you have had any experience with units like these?  Are they safe / effective?  There have been times ( cooking / excess smoke from the woodstove ) that the units have sounded but I was wondering if heavy smoke would interfere with the RF.

P.S.  Even though we test out units frequently throughout the year with battery changes we ALWAYS test on clock changing weekends.   Just to be sure. :-)
« : March 05, 2009, 04:49:05 PM Julie »
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : March 05, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »

Have never seen any like that but First Alert is a good brand. But does sound like a good alternative for anyone in a house that was built before they needed to be hardwired. On a side note, they do suggest after 10yrs that you replace all detectors smoke and co with new ones. Usually the date of manufacture is printed on the back of the units.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: