Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:42:18 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Enhanced Drivers License Are Now Available For Everybody
« previous next »
: [1]
: Enhanced Drivers License Are Now Available For Everybody  ( 4188 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 17, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »

Vermonters were cleared to apply for the state's long-awaited enhanced driver's license Tuesday.

The enhanced driver's license, sometimes known as the EDL, will serve in place of a passport -- among other items -- to allow drivers to cross back and forth into Canada starting on June 1.

The licenses are only available at the Montpelier office of the Department of Motor Vehicles, but will be available at other offices later this year. The new license costs drivers an additional $25.

Henry Raymond
Wormerod
: 44

« #1 : February 18, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

Just a heads up. I spent 5 hr's at DMV in Montpelier yesterday experiencing this process. This is the only DMV location that issues "EDL's". They are still working the bugs out, but it should get better the more they issue.

A couple of important notes:
1) No copies of any supporting documents will be accepted. Only originals may be presented as supporting documents.
2) You can not know personally anyone who issued any of these supporting documents. So, for example; a Selectboard member can not use a tax bill as proof of residency (since that board member knows the Town Clerk).
3) Plan on spending at least 2 hours waiting (and bring enough quarters to feed the parking meter for 4 hours) you get 20 min's per quarter.
4) If your name has changed since you birth certificate was issued (you were married...) you need to bring your marriage licence, along with any supporting documentation for the name change.
5) If you are divorced, you need to being the divorce decree.

The DMV office in Montpelier is open daily Monday thru Friday from 7:45 AM- 4:30 PM (an not a minute later), and till 6:00 PM on Wednesday.

I just wanted to pass along my experiences, so that you are aware of some of the issues that I observed yesterday. Hopefully Friday will be a better day, when I try this a second time.

Regards,

Bill
« : February 18, 2009, 08:33:58 AM Henry »
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : February 18, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »

Jim Minor said it was a snap, of course he was with Governor Douglas - Thanks for posting your experience Bill - I told Maryann I was going to get mine, especially after I heard it was only about a 45 minute wait on TV last night - Let us know how you make out, or anyone else that goes while I wait for them to work out the bugs.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : February 23, 2009, 09:55:30 AM »

OK Bill,  Friday has come and gone - Are you now the owner of an Enhanced Driver's License??

Henry Raymond
Wormerod
: 44

« #4 : February 23, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »

Well, I successfully completed the process, and verified that I am infact an American citizen, that resides in Vermont.

This time, the process only took about 30 Min's, and I left with the promise of my new Enhanced Drivers License in 10-14 days (actual delivery time may vary) and a piece of 8.5 x 11 piece of paper to act as a temporary licence until the EDL arrives. By the way; your license photo displays on this piece of paper and takes up about 3/4's of it.

So, the answer to you question Henry; is Yes, or No not quite.... or possibly Maybe ????
logical
: 141

« #5 : February 23, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »

It sounds like it's almost easier to just get a passport. 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: