Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:07 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  IBM Layoffs
« previous next »
: [1]
: IBM Layoffs  ( 2908 )
logical
: 141

« : January 23, 2009, 07:56:30 AM »

As noted on WPTZ.com could come today or next week.

Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : January 23, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »

Well, I hope it isn't true, however with the economy the way it is, one never knows.  If nothing has come this morning so far, I am inclined to believe that there will be nothing today, unless nobody on the third shift was in the loop to be layed off, as they are the first shift of the day.

I have received a number of notes from around the country asking me if I had heard anything.  The source seems to be the Union Organizer Web site and they are not as reliable as some of the old Rumor Mills of the old days as they have a tendency to try and stir the pot and agitate the employees.

The Burlington Plant did not do well this last quarter, however the following indicates how the rest of the company is doing:

IBM Posts 12% Gain In 4Q, Gives Positive Outlook.
On the front of its Marketplace section, the Wall Street Journal (1/21, B1, Bulkeley) reports, "Bucking the trend of high-tech competitors, International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) posted a 12% gain in fourth-quarter profit and gave an upbeat outlook for 2009." The company said that in spite of facing "an extremely difficult economic environment," it predicts it will "continue to benefit from the increasing profitability of its software and services businesses." IBM asserted that "customers are continuing to sign up for outsourcing and other services contracts."

I guess bottom line we just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : January 24, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »

IBM Confirms "Changes" in the Works

Essex Junction, Vermont - January 23, 2009

More signs of possible job cuts at IBM in Essex Junction.

A spokesperson at IBM headquarters says the company has not announced or discussed any layoffs, but on Wednesday it began notifying some employees there would be changes within the business as it works to stay competitive and meet its clients' needs.

Spokesman Doug Shelton said, "We anticipate some employees will be able to find other positions that match their skills at IBM... We are not discussing any locations or numbers associated with that internal announcement."

Kate Duffy - WCAX News

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: