Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:52:38 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Sterling Weed Celebrates His 104th Birthday Wednesday, 7/20
« previous next »
: [1]
: Sterling Weed Celebrates His 104th Birthday Wednesday, 7/20  ( 1829 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 22, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »

The above photo of Mr. Weed was scanned from a photo taken by Stina Plant in the July 19, 2005 Edition of The St. Albans Messenger.  The following article was written by Leon Thompson, Messenger Staff Writer.

Sterling at 104
By LEON THOMPSON
Messenger Staff Writer

St. Albans City – To contemplate the finger-swelling heat and humidity, Sterling Weed sat on his bed early Monday afternoon – the same bed he has slept in nightly since his mother, Etta, gave birth to him in it on July 20, 1901.

“With this terrible heat, it’s nice to have these electric fans,” he said, as he pointed his cane at a tall, white fan that circulated air near the bed’s headboard.  “We didn’t use to have those, you know.”

Just then, Weed’s friend and former music student, Meredith Gillilan, of Fletcher, rushed into the bedroom with his first birthday card of the week.

“It’s kind of cute isn’t it?” she asked, pointing to the dogs on the cover.

That card, signed in blue ink by David and Sandra Ashley, is one of dozens Weed will get by Wednesday, when he turns 104. He is still the nation's oldest active bandleader and travels from his Stebbins Street home when he can to lead and play saxophone in his decades-old group, Weed's Imperial Orchestra.

His advice for a long life?

"If you can live without being too nervous about one thing or another, you'll be fine," he said. "Nerves make people old. And don't drink. That's a bad thing."
Weed was relaxed and mentally sharp as he had his picture taken yesterday. He sat on a piano bench, with two saxophones - an alto and a baritone - and an aged clarinet perched on their stands beside him.

Before the photo, Gillilan, who travels daily from Fletcher to visit Weed (and stays with him on weekends), helped him with the final touch of his conductor's uniform: his trademark bow tie - a blue one for the picture.
"I don't wanna choke you," she whispered, as she fastened the accessory around his neck.

Weed then made his way to the piano - slowly, using two canes, one in each hand, his slender body hunched at a near 90-degree angle. His eyesight is bad, Gillilan said, and his hearing has deteriorated.

But inside that century-plus-old head is the same Sterling Weed.
"I'm feelin' pretty good," he said. "I still love playing and conducting. It's a lot of fun - a looot of fun."

Born in St. Albans, Weed grew up on his family's dairy farm just outside the city, on Fisher Pond Road. The Northwestern Medical Center now sits on the old Weed farm meadow.

Weed's father, Baxter, led the original Weed's Orchestra. Sterling studied piccolo and flute as a child and began performing professionally in the family orchestra with his brothers at age 11.

After returning home from Polk College in Indiana, he began his teaching career, eventually introducing his first love - music - to more than 4,000 students. At one point, he simultaneously taught music at five area schools and led the Enosburg, Fairfax and Milton town ensembles.

As a young man, Weed also became leader of his father's orchestra, renaming it Weed's Imperial Orchestra in 1932. Weed's Imperial Orchestra was a staple of the summer dance circuit from the early 1930s to the 1950s. The group often played seven nights a week.

Throughout his career, Weed has amassed a 4,500-piece collection of sheet music he keeps in a wooden cabinet crafted by his own hands. The collection is indexed in a red, three-ring binder he keeps near his piano.

In June 2001, Weed received the Walter Cerf Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Arts from the Vermont Arts Council, That July, he turned 100. More than 300 people gathered in St. Albans City's Taylor Park to help him celebrate. Numerous dignitaries then read letters of praise from state and federal lawmakers, including President George W Bush, former governor Howard Dean and U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy.

"I'm astounded by you," Mayor Peter DesLauriers told Weed at the birthday bash.

Weed still astounds Gillilan. They spend their days playing music together and dining at KJ's Diner on Main Street. A photo of him - sans socks, mind you - hangs at KJ's, where he is the oldest customer.

His order is consistent: Half a BLT on wheat, with soup and coffee.
"He's an inspiration," said Brenda Helfrich, a KJ's waitress. "He's a wonderful person. He's always cheerful, always wearing a smile, even though he probably doesn't always feel well. And he always has the same answer.
'"How are you today, Mr. Weed?'

"'Ohhh, pretty good.'"

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: