Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:07:47 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Last Time You Were In Steeple Market
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Last Time You Were In Steeple Market  ( 9025 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : December 25, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »

When was the last time you were in Steeple Market, and what did you buy?

For me, it was Wednesday morning around 11am, and I bought a half gallon of milk and a quart of egg nog.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
SusieJ
: 14

« #1 : December 25, 2008, 10:31:23 PM »

I was there Monday morning... bought a gallon of apple cider and a bottle of juice and a coffee -- The cider and juice was for my daughter's class holiday party at BFA -- the coffee was my morning ritual.....
My family and I are still in shock... even after visiting today and having reality settle in.
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #2 : December 26, 2008, 08:00:37 AM »

I was there Tuesday after the school's first nordic ski race. I bought 3 cartons of organic milk to last us over the next few days. I loved that Steeples carried it. It was such a convenient store. Not a convenience store, because it wasn't. You could always find what you were looking for without having to travel to St. Albans or Essex. It will certainly be missed by us. 
cassyt
: 84

« #3 : December 26, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »

I was there on tuesday to buy bread I sure hope they build back alot of people will be lost without a store in town to get meat or something from there great deli
treebeard34
: 103

« #4 : December 26, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »

I was visiting in the summer(the day of the egg run ) and stopped in with my litle guy Jackson, he thought it was pretty cool to be going in to a church to get a candy bar. very sad day, I spent alot of time (and money) there in the 80's. glad no one was hurt.

Mark Teague
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #5 : December 26, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »

I hadn't been in there a few years....I remember going in there as a student at BFA during exams.

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
dearon
: 233

« #6 : December 26, 2008, 03:42:27 PM »

Stopped by Christmas even around 5:00 to pick up some soda for Xmas eve party.  Great store & deli wilth reasonable prices it will be sorely missed. 

I have about 20 minutes of video on the fire from when it was just smoking to fully blazing that I took that evening. I still need to get it copied.  I'd be happy to donate it for the historical society.

The firecrew did an amazing job, what a great crew!!
« : December 27, 2008, 08:06:08 AM dearon »
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #7 : December 26, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »

dearon, If you could get a copy for the fire department I would greatly appreciate it.  We can use it to our benefit to critique and use as a training tool. 

Thanks,

Justin Hayes
Deputy Chief Fairfax Fire
dearon
: 233

« #8 : December 26, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »

I'll be sure to get you a copy.
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #9 : December 26, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »

I am very, very sorry about the Steeple fire. The people who ran the store were good to me. The last time I was in there was just after the election to collect unused/unwanted political stuff. It was a great place to pick up supplies for dinner, and my husband is a great fan of the homemade pies. I'm really glad that apparently no one was hurt.

I drove over there this afternoon, but the folks there in the driveway at the time couldn't give me much information. Is it correct that there were 3 apartments? Where did the occupants go? All news reports I've seen do not report any injuries. Did anyone get hurt?  Are the firemen all OK?

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
nick
: 2

« #10 : December 26, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »

Wow! I  was there twice on the 24th- in the afternoon with my son, picked up probably the last murphys free range chicken for our once-in-a-while beer can chicken meal. I then came in about 6 pm to pick up a tub of giffords ice cream requested by the relatives. It was great that its just a few miles from my home.

I loved that store, and always showed it off to my out of state friends. Very few of them had a store that had the quality items that steeple market had, and that close. It was nice that if I ever needed to make an impromptu extravagant meal, I could pick up 99% of everything there, and for not much more (sometimes even less) than what I would pay at shaws. The only thing steeple market didn't have was fresh herbs, and they never stopped hearing about it from me in my first few years in fairfax.

I hope that when they rebuild, they make a new steeple of some kind, at least as high or higher than the old one was, and that it be visible from inside the store. Now that they have the opportunity to rebuild, I hoe they ask the community some questions about what they would like in there, it was a great store, but now's the time to think about the future- how could it be even better?

I drove there today to take a few pictures, and I was just sad. Really loved that store! I'm also glad no one was hurt- an old building like that, when that dried up wood catches, it usually goes in minutes.
chelseaclark
: 54

« #11 : December 26, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »

I don't remember the last item I bought at Steeple Market, but it was just the other day.  Most likely a red pepper to round out a dinner recipe and a six pack of beer.  I come from a supermarket family, and I always felt a sense of "home" whenever I went in (usually several times a week).  I am utterly shocked at how much of a loss I feel, and even though no one was hurt (thank goodness!), I keep wondering when the funeral will be.
7F24
: 253

« #12 : December 26, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »

I was there on Friday, picked up a couple of half gallons of ice cream........for the kids.  I hope they rebuild soon. 
kschmidt
: 9

« #13 : December 26, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

I have a nice story I would like to share about being in the Steeple Market on Tuesday Morning...  I was in line to check out and as she is every day, Mary was at the register.  The man ahead of me won $20 on a scratch ticket so he told Mary what new tickets he would like to purchase with the winnings.  He bought $15.00 dollars worth of tickets and told Mary to take the last $5.00 and purchase some for herself... and wished her a Merry Christmas.  I hope she won some money.

Although I will really miss strolling for dinner at the Steeple Market... and especially the mac-n-cheese...it's really seeing Mary that I will miss the most and her fabulous sense of humor!!  So if you're reading this Mary... The very best of luck to you and we will miss you!  You've made a lot of people smile...
Judi
: 508

« #14 : December 26, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »

..it's really seeing Mary that I will miss the most and her fabulous sense of humor!!  So if you're reading this Mary... The very best of luck to you and we will miss you!  You've made a lot of people smile...
I feel the same way, the friendly staff will be missed a lot!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: