Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:35:32 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BIG NEWS IN THE HISTORIC DISTRICT OF FAIRFAX -- WRONG!!!!
« previous next »
: [1]
: BIG NEWS IN THE HISTORIC DISTRICT OF FAIRFAX -- WRONG!!!!  ( 2026 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 30, 2005, 07:39:01 AM »

Hi all,

Took the following photo in Historic Downtown Fairfax on June 29, 2005:

I thought, this has got to be Deja Vous of a 1904 St. Albans Messenger newspaper clipping, but hopefully it won’t turn out with the same results:

Artesian Well Being Dug at BFA
October 27, 1904

The Bellows Free Academy trustees are boring an artesian well.  The large well that they have dug does not furnish water enough for the building.

Not sure just where that original well was dug, but needless to say, our Bellows Free Academy Trustees did not give up.

A later article dated December 16th, 1909 in the St. Albans Messenger read as follows:

The Trustees of the Bellows Free Academy Establish Water System

The question of water supply for the Academy had been for some time a serious one. The old custom of supply from Wells having become entirely insufficient, the Trustees were compelled to look about for some way to meet the contingency.

In September, they decided on a definite plan. They purchased a tract of land on the Fletcher road 1 mile east of the Academy, where were located springs affording 30 gallons per minute and commenced the work. It occurred to the trustees that by using a large pipe the village might be supplied with water for domestic use, and that the income from water rents would aid in operating expenses of the plant and interest on the investment. Owing to protracted drought most of the wells in the village had failed or the water become unfit for use, so the citizens were waiting to be supplied. Work was commenced about the 20th of September. Two reservoirs were built, one near the springs mentioned, the other one on the hill 110 feet higher than the first. The latter is constructed with stone and cement walls 50 feet long, 15 feet wide and 10 feet deep, holding 56 thousand gallons.

A pumping station near the lower reservoir is equipped with a Rumsey & Go., triplex (3 cylinder) pump, propelled by an electric motion. With this outfit 20 gallons per minute is delivered into the upper reservoir. From this reservoir water is conveyed to the Academy in 4-inch cast iron pipes laid 5 feet or more under ground. The side pipes in the streets are 2 inch galvanized iron. Water was let into the pipes December 16th, less than 90 days after commencing the work. The system is working successfully, supplying the Academy's needs, while 25 families already are made happy by an abundance of pure water to use. The water has been analyzed and pronounced correct. The trustees believe that within the present, year there will be enough takers of water to give the academy a reasonable interest on the investment. The high altitude of the upper reservoir gives a pressure sufficient for fire protection. Hydrants, hose and nozzles have been provided for use in case of fire.

The Trustees of the Bellows Free Academy.

Well, now armed with all this information, I figured I had better go talk to the guy in the red shirt shown above and let him know what a momentous occasion this is.  Not since 1909 has anyone here in the historic district of Fairfax been obliged to provide their own water by drilling or digging a well --  Wrong!!!!!!!!!!

I went over to the Fairfax Town Office to verify my information before I made a complete idiot of myself on the internet with this Historical News.  Talked with Donna who agreed with me, but sitting at the table going over some records was Lucien Hayes.  Lucien quietly peered up from his reading and informed both of us that the Langeliers had dug a well when they put in their car wash.

Well, Lucien sure punctured my balloon, no big news here, but there can’t be many others in town, so informed Donna & Lucien I was going up to see the Langeliers to verify my info.   After all, I didn’t want to waste my two pictures and certainly wanted to use them some way some how.

Up at the car wash, Paul Langelier was doing some work with his tractor.  He stopped the tractor and I congratulated him on being the first individual since 1909 who had found it necessary to dig a well here in the Old Historic District of Fairfax – Wrong Again!!!!!!!!

Paul told me that Rene Boissoneault’s development on Summitview Street near the Old Montague house had dug for water for those residences and that was several years ago.  Well, my big news was dwindling in importance by the minute.

I guess it boils down to this, A house is being built in the Historic District and when I spoke to one of the guys digging, he told me they had gone down 90 feet.  Asked him if they had hit ledge yet and his ears perked up and he asked the guy on the rig and he told us “just now.”  We certainly hope they have better luck that they did in 1904.  

Drove by last night and saw the rig had been taken down – Usually a good sign.

Paul Langelier said that H2O had dug his well and went down 200 feet and they got 25 gallons per minute.  Chevalier dug the wells on Summitview Street and am not sure how many gallons a minute they got.  I was extremely fortunate at my house which is outside the village.  Went down 131 feet and got over 100 gallons per minute.

Have a great day

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: