Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:10:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Locals Fight Walmart Arrival
« previous next »
: [1]
: Locals Fight Walmart Arrival  ( 7930 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 04, 2008, 10:06:30 AM »

I still don't understand the big hassle over Walmart going to St. Albans - The Highgate Shopping Center owners mention businesses closing and as I look at the Highgate Shopping Plaza, I see increased business for them, not a decrease - Anyhow here is the latest from St. Albans - Pros & Cons:

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : June 04, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »

Bravenewfilms on Youtube has lots of videos about Wal Mart on their channel, showing what it's like to have them as "neighbors."

Here's a link to one of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBqQWAjBgmE&feature=related

Here's another link about the high cost of low prices at Wal Mart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBqQWAjBgmE

Here's another about Betty's Wal Mart Employee Discount and the government plans that help her get free lunch for her kids at school:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEEuU0luvM&feature=related

Here's another about Wal Mart Job Security
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHtNT3-oPrc&feature=related

This last one's cute too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONwbtaM0es&feature=related

There are plenty more like this on the Brave New Films Channel on Youtube...just type in bravenewfilms in the search box to see and learn more about Wal Mart.
« : June 04, 2008, 03:05:33 PM Henry »
Suzy

« #2 : June 04, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »

Just one more...
Confessions of a Wal Mart Hitman...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQH9DloKD8
« : June 04, 2008, 03:06:15 PM Henry »
dearon
: 233

« #3 : June 05, 2008, 06:18:37 AM »

St. Albans needs Walmart.  Stop with the negativity already!  There are many employers in this area that don't pay nearly as much as Walmart. I've had many people come to me and tell me what some of the local business pay, it's a disgrace.
This is just another ploy by local business to keep Walmart out.  I say boycott all them and shop in Burlington/Williston area.  This is the only way to stop this game playing.  This is not about what the majority of people want and desire it is what a select few want, to put more money in their pockets.
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #4 : June 05, 2008, 07:24:33 AM »

Those were some of the most left wing whacko liberal clips I have ever seen.  Search for some of the amazingly ignorant (and completely wrong) clips of the conspiracy theorists thoughts on 9-11.  Anyway, that is far as I'll go on the You Tube rant. 

So, why don't the "anti WalMarts" protest against the Shaws/Hannafords/Price Choppers?  They were the original "box" stores.  Does anyone remember Guays Market on Lake St?  Blouins on Elm?  They were all put out of business the big grocery stores.

What happen to Ben Franklins on Main?  Ames and Grants in Highgate Commons?  Pearls Department Store on Merchants Row in Swanton?  All of these were out or on their way LONG before WalMart gained any prominence in this state.  So who is to blame for them going out of business? 

I have said it once and said it again.  Put it to a vote.  Let the voters decide. 

It is reasons like this that I moving from Vermont.  Far too many transplanted liberals trying to make my decisions for me! (BTW there are some homegrown liberal minded people in this state that I will miss.)

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Suzy

« #5 : June 05, 2008, 07:35:17 AM »

Your last sentence in your comment sounds just like you're talking about Wal Mart!  (This is not about what the majority of people want and desire it is what a select few {Wal Mart officials}want, to put more money in their pockets} None of the products you buy at Wal Mart will be made locally...they will be made cheaply in China.  What is wrong with buying things from small locally run shops?  Keep the money in VT/USA?  Save money on the gas used to ship items from China/across the country/produce from Chile?  Why would anyone want to boycott local businesses when they are having a tough time all over?  Sam Walton's family will be fine...they have a mansion  in Jackson Hole, and who knows how many houses/mansions everywhere else?  The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.  What is it at Wal Mart that everyone needs so badly they can't get it somewhere else?  

You are entitled to your opinion, I'm just trying to show some of the reasons why many people don't like Wal Mart....what all the fuss is about.  It's not just local businesses who MIGHT be against Wal Mart, it's regular folks like me who care about the consequences.  I have nothing to gain by having Wal Mart move in, or not move in, I just have a pretty strong opinion...no money to make or lose, so you can't just say it's only local businesses objecting (if they even are...they might think it would bring them more business)

.  There are other reasons too.  If they move next to any residences (and even if they don't) there will be deliveries and beeping forklifts running 24/7 accepting the deliveries as well as more traffic, and light pollution.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UN3HvhDktc

There are reasons why people don't like Wal Mart...and here are some of the reasons.  I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just trying to get people to think.  I'm trying to be positive, and get people to think about child labor, energy consumption, employee job satisfaction, a living wage, sustainability, buying locally made products, or at least products made in the USA, and thinking maybe there are other ways of doing business than the Sam Walton way.  

Should we all stop shopping at Steeple Market?  Maybe we should go to St. Albans instead of to J and L Hardware or Fairfax Pharmacy?  Are you suggesting we boycott our local stores?  Are you going to get the same kind of service at Wal Mart?  Look at all the local businesses in Fairfax right now that are raising money for some charity duckie race...  Do you think Wal Mart will do that for you and your community? How will Wal Mart bring more business to the local businesses?  Will you stop at J and L on your way to WalMart and buy something?  It might bring more business to a Starbucks drive thru, or McDonalds drive thrus... ( Maybe Starbucks will be right inside WalMart and you won't even have to go to the drive thru.)

Did you look at any of the videos?

What will happen to downtown St. Albans businesses?  The downtown is the heart of the community, that has 100% more heart and character than Wal Mart ever will have. What is going to happen to the businesses than can't compete?  I've seen the empty store fronts in other towns across the country that have let Wal Mart in.  Pretty soon every town will look alike with Wal Mart on one side of the street, Target on the other, Burger King down the road, and Dunkin Donuts and a Starbucks on every block.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF6-ifO_X3A

What will happen to J and L Hardware if everyone goes to Wal Mart and boycotts them?  Or even if people just drive on by on their way to St. Albans?  Haven't they given and given to the town of Fairfax?  Is that any way to reward them?  Just trying to get people to think about the consequences, that's all.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ePgRBoWqCk  (I think this video pretty much says it all)
Suzy

« #6 : June 05, 2008, 07:54:43 AM »

First of all, I'm not talking about 9-11.

So, did we learn anything from letting those big box stores in?  It sounds like you said it...The larger stores put the smaller ones out of business?  Is that not what you said?  Is bigger better then?  Is that the result we want?

I guess it's good you're moving away from Vermont then if that's the way you feel.  Where are you moving to where there are no wacko liberals? 

This homegrown Vermont liberal minded wacko misses Vermont and hopes it can retain some of it's character even if I no longer live there.  I still care even though I'm not longer there.  I miss the liberal minded wackos of Vermont, and even the conservative wackos too.  I have lots of friends who have opinions different than mine, but I don't want to move away from them.  Dic Cheney's house is less than a quarter mile from mine, and he's a relative, and I think he's an evil man.  Am I moving?  Where could I move where there would be no conservatives?  Henry's all for Wal Mart, (and so are some of my other friends in Fairfax) and I think he's one of the greatest guys around.  My cousin is a military recruiter, and I am completely opposed to the military/war as any liberal minded wacko is.  I still love my cousin, and respect him and his opinions even though I don't agree with him. 

When you move away from Vermont, I hope you realize what a special place you left.  I knew it was special when I moved away, and now that I've seen our country and lived in other places I treasure it even more for its quality of life and uniqueness. 

dearon
: 233

« #7 : June 05, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »

Wow, talk about Ranting.
If your read my reply I stated boycott these business, meaning the ones who are appealing & giving Walmart a hard time.  We need Walmart's prices, we already have one in Williston now let's have one in St. Albans. 
As far as the deliveries, noise and light pollution that comes with growth of a town.  We have it right here in Fairfax, I live in the village I hear and see it.
Fairfax Busniness? You are really getting off subject aren't you?
« : June 05, 2008, 08:38:07 AM dearon »
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #8 : June 05, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »

NIMBY

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : June 05, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »

COME TO ALASKA!!

THE STATE PAYS YOU TO LIVE HERE!!

We have Walmart / Targets / BestBuys / and yes, the local guys all survived.
Suzy

« #10 : June 05, 2008, 08:12:07 PM »

I'm not ranting...it's not in my backyard...I don't even live there any more...I'm merely pointing out why some people don't want WalMart.  That's all...  I didn't even know there was already one in Williston...that's great for all you WalMart fans, but apparently too far for people to drive?
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #11 : June 05, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »

Got any Alaskan polar bear photos ?

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #12 : June 06, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeraburn

Polar Bear pics were reported to be from Kaktovik, AK.
A friend of mine sent them to me, he works for a large surveying company up here.
They have made the rounds in internet land.

Just like the big bear taken on Hinchinbrook Island and the poor moose who gut strung up in the power lines in the interior.
« : June 07, 2008, 06:52:14 AM Henry »
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #13 : June 07, 2008, 06:43:09 AM »

Thanks, Mike,

those two guys look endangered.

That's not the Walmart parking lot is it ?

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: