Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:57:54 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  LAW ENFORCEMENT AT FORE OF FAIRFAX MEETING
« previous next »
: [1]
: LAW ENFORCEMENT AT FORE OF FAIRFAX MEETING  ( 4123 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 27, 2005, 08:03:29 AM »

Law enforcement at fore of Fairfax meeting

Carl Jones of Fairfax asks about the bidding process for buying a new bus, one of the issues raised by the school board during the Fairfax town meeting Saturday at BFA-Fairfax Elementary School.  The above photo was taken by Andy Duback, for the Free Press and scanned from the February 27, 2005 Issue.

By Shawn Turner
Free Press Staff Writer
FAIRFAX — Town meeting voters on Saturday approved a one-year contract with the Franklin County Sheriffs Office that costs almost 70 percent more than the previous one, but the sheriff will provide an additional eight hours of coverage weekly to the town.

The above photo was taken by Andy Duback, for the Free Press and scanned from the February 27, 2005 Issue.

The new contract will cost $57,067 for 28 hours a week, up from $33,780 for the 20-hour-per-week contract approved last year. One of the reasons for the increase, as Selectman Robert Horr understands it, is that Sheriff Robert Morris underestimated the cost of patrolling the town.

"The bottom line is we got a really great deal on last year, but this is more real," Horr said of the new contract. Norris could not be reached for comment.

The Franklin County Sheriffs contract passed by a hand vote of 61-51.

Some residents have complained that the Sheriffs Office's coverage has been more sparse than they would like. Voters Saturday rejected by voice vote a $43,950 one-year, 20-hour-per week contract with the Vermont State Police.

Selectman Jeff Blake was asked during the meeting if he had been disappointed in the Sheriffs Office's work.

"I'm not going to address that one this minute," he said.

Horr, like others on the Se-lectboard. was diplomatic.

"They can't be visibly everywhere all the time," he said.

Resident Keith Billado, 46, said he felt the town should have its own police force, rather than sharing coverage with other communities.

"I think the whole manner that we have law enforcement coverage here should be re-evaluated," he said.

Also during the meeting, voters approved by voice vote $7,786 for Fairfax Rescue that will go toward operating expenses. Last year, the town approved nearly double that amount.

In the past, Fairfax Rescue has had difficulty recruiting volunteers, Horr said. The rescue squad needed more staff last year when the volunteer staff was too thin, according to a transcript of comments made by Fairfax Rescue President Michael Spaulding at last year's town meeting.

The volunteer shortage seems to have ended, Horr said, so less money is needed. Also last year, the town donated $56,160 to the rescue squad to provide for full-time coverage by a staff hired to
work per-diem shifts. Spaulding could not be reached for comment.

Selectman Edward Nuttall addresses a question raised by a resident at town meeting in Fairfax at the BFA-Fairfax elementary School on Saturday.  The above photo was taken by Andy Duback, for the Free Press and scanned from the February 27, 2005 Issue.

Former Town Clerk Tina Levick addressed the Select-board, but did not mention the row she'd had with the board in the past. Levick hired her sister, Melissa Allard, as assistant town clerk in March after dismissing Rita Magnan.

The Selectboard refused to pay Allard and reinstated Magnan.

Levick discussed with the board on Saturday the mechanics of bringing on assistant town clerks.

Contact Shawn Turner at 660-1852 or sturner@bfp.burlingtonfreepress .com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: