Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:26:19 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  My Impression Of The Tasks Faced Early In The Session
« previous next »
: [1]
: My Impression Of The Tasks Faced Early In The Session  ( 2442 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : January 12, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »

I have only been in Montpelier one week now, but the time away from home has been long enough for me to reflect on my experiences during the recent holiday season and the values that are most important to Vermonters: Family, Friends, and Community. It was great to be able to travel and visit family members who lived out of state and see how their families have grown, and to have those close by come to our home. It was a joy to visit with the young adults who now live and work elsewhere and had returned to town for a holiday visit where they accompanied their parents to church. It was wonderful to see recent graduates who knew that if they came to a basketball game at BFA, they would be able to catch up with friends and neighbors who were guaranteed to be there. It was the anticipation of receiving letters from Peter and Bernard, who are still trying to educate me on issues important to them and others.  These examples illustrate the values of Family, Friends, and Community that should be the basis of decision made in Montpelier.

Last year the legislative session started with ceremony. This year it began with a “Happy New Year”. House committees have already begun the serious work of meeting the needs of Vermonters. Budget concerns have not gone away during the summer and fall. Transportation, Health Care, Education, Housing, Energy, and Property Taxes are still major problem areas. But I am hopeful that by using the shared values of Family, Friends, and Community, the legislature will be able to focus on long term solutions for our common problems rather than short term fixes for political gain. 

I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
: [1]  
« previous next »
: