Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:01:22 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Pride In Workmanship
« previous next »
: [1]
: Pride In Workmanship  ( 2753 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 06, 2005, 09:29:27 AM »

Hi All,

This past week I had to have a little plumbing done and it brought back some memories of the old days, when, a little plumbing, electrical or furnace work needed to be done, for many, many years, I had just one phone number to call.  This man took great pride in what he did.

Ralph Scott, 85, of Binghamville went to be with the Lord on Saturday, July 17, 1999. He was surrounded with the love and comfort of his family in Fletcher Allen Health Care when he passed away. He was a lifelong resident of Binghamville. He was born Oct. 29, 1913, in the house where he continued to live for his 85 years. He was the son of Lynn Scott and Marietta [Rugg] Scott. He was a descendent of Lemuel Scott, the first male child born in Fletcher, and he was the seventh generation of the Scott family to live in Fletcher. He married the former Reta [Tinker] Scott who predeceased him in 1997 after 57 years of marriage. Ralph went to the little brick schoolhouse in Binghamville and graduated from BFA, Fairfax, in 1931. After graduation, he began building barns and bridges. Later, he became a master electrician, plumber, and jack-of-all-trades, and master of many. He took great pride in the work he did and considered any job worth doing was worth doing to perfection. He did not retire until he was 82 years old.

The plumber I had doing my work for me found this under my sink:

Although it may be just a little bit difficult to read since it was written in pencil - on this junction box that goes to my garbage disposal it reads:

June 1982 - RHS

The plumber noticed this immediately and said, "I see Ralph Scott used to do some work for you."

Yes, indeed he did and like his obituary said, " He took great pride in the work he did and considered any job worth doing was worth doing to perfection."

Other than probably some old time clock repair tradesmen, you will probably find no one today who will leave his trademark on a job after they have finished, but this plumber told me that he has worked at many places around town where the date and initials RHS appear in penciled format on jobs done in years past.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: