Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:40:23 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Note From Gary Gilbert
« previous next »
: [1]
: Note From Gary Gilbert  ( 2586 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : November 11, 2007, 05:33:42 PM »

11/11/07

The legislature will return to session on January 8th.  As of now, items on the front burner include an analysis of the study reports that were done this summer: review of high and low spending districts, the efficiency of the dept. of ed., special ed., human services programs funded by schools, Medicaid money utilized by schools, unfounded mandates, status of financial management of school districts, and the use of rolling reappraisals by towns.  The studies, if done thoroughly, may suggest changes that could be beneficial for students and taxpayers.

The Education Committee is willing to listen to suggestions for changes to section 5-6 of Act 82 if those changes help to accomplish what the legislature intended. These sections require a divided question if a school district exceeds both the statewide average per equalized pupil and an increase of the statewide average adjusted for inflation plus 1%. This was the section that was added by the conference committee and came to the floor for an up or down vote. No amendments were permitted in this part of the process. The two-vote addition was initiated by the Governor, as a replacement for his proposal for absolute caps, and prevented a veto of the entire bill  (see attached summary for what would have been lost with a veto).  Legislative rules prohibit repealing or negating first session action during the second.

However, amendments are permitted. For example, the wording of the 1st and 2nd articles could be changed. The existing wording does not do justice to all the local boards that do the very serious work of providing quality at the best costs. It leaves the voter with the impression that the first question is for necessary things and the second is for frills. I t gives them an excuse to vote no without being knowledgeable about the needs of the district and it puts needed programs at risk.

The two-vote requirement will have a greater impact in those districts that use the Australian ballot rather than traditional town meeting. It is much easier for voters to have their questions answered and to fully understand their local budget when the can meet directly with their school board neighbors at the School Meeting than it is for someone who is must vote by Australian ballot. How to fix this is the problem. I will propose that boards be permitted to write the articles in a manner that presents information to the voter about the nature of the article- what the purpose/goals of the article are, the population served, and the legal requirements that are being met by the article. 

Please let me know your thinking on these issues and others prior to Thanksgiving so I can communicate them to House leadership and help make the State’s agenda a reflection of ours. I can be reached in Montpelier when we are in session by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home 849-6333 when the Legislature is not in session.

Gary L. Gilbert
Rep. Fairfax and Georgia

« : November 11, 2007, 05:39:36 PM Gary Gilbert »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: