Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:46:57 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  News from Montpelier 2020 COVID-19 recess week 6
« previous next »
: [1]
: News from Montpelier 2020 COVID-19 recess week 6  ( 1620 )
Barbara
: 270

« : April 24, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

An All-House meeting Wednesday provided the opportunity to gain an understanding of the bills that were coming similar to caucus meetings that allow informal question and answer on the points of legislation being considered. This meeting was/is on YouTube as are the Committee and House sessions and found through links posted https://legislature.vermont.gov/home/noteworthy/announcements/

The House was called to order by the Speaker Thursday. With only a few staff present in the chamber very few ‘seats’ were empty thanks to the electronic communication tools that permit remote attendance. Bills sent over from the Senate and formally referred to committees were S.114 an act relating to the emergency judicial response to COVID-19, S.182 an act relating to Government Operations regarding the emergency medical services and public safety in response to COVID-19, S.333 an act relating to establishing a moratorium on ejectment and foreclosure actions during the COVID-19 emergency, S340 an act relating to FY 2020 interfund borrowing authority and S.341 an act relating to disclosure of tax information to facilitate the provision of Pandemic Unemployment Assistance benefits.

The first vote by the House was to approve remote voting pursuant to temporary House Rule 9A. The Rule permits remote voting and debate and expires at the convening of the 2021 biennial session or the expiration of the House’s Declaration of Emergency and any extensions of same, whichever comes first. To take effect the Rule required three quarters of those voting to ratify it remotely. Even members who felt there was a flaw in using an action to permit that action’s use voted in the affirmative with a Roll Call of 148 yeas and 0 nays. H.741 had been posted on the House calendar and did not require suspension of rules to be presented for the House to vote on the Senate’s proposal of amendment. The members responded by the first Everbridge Vermont House floor vote and concurred to allow it to be sent to the Governor. The Senate bills all required several votes to suspend procedural rules and move them through several steps of passage that would normally require 24 hour delays. After some floor debate and an amendment which removed one controversial section of S.114 the votes all were taken and the Bills returned to the Senate.

The Transportation committee met Wednesday and heard a report on the CARES act for the State and Burlington airports as well as for Vermont’s Amtrak routes. The information for Amtrak is not complete but information suggests the annual amount Vermont provides for service will be capped at 80% in FY20 which could provide a savings of $1.9M to Rail. The CARES act support to Aviation will allow airports to use 100% of Federal dollars to fund capital projects which could free substantial State dollars. The Agency is still working to confirm which projects may benefit from this. The State will also receive about $300,000 for Operations expenses and BTV is expected to receive $8.7M. The Commissioner of the DMV informed the Committee of a proposal to wave the 6 hour driving-with-instructor requirement for current enrollees of Driver’s Ed impacted by the pandemic. The requirement is a rule so would not require legislation to suspend. The Committee also took testimony from the Stormwater Program Manager on the consideration being given to municipalities for missed deadlines. The Department has discretion in how it uses its authority and it was stated that enforcement is a tool of last resort. The link to the Agency of Natural Resources website was provided and offers information to assist municipalities https://anr.vermont.gov/sites/anr/files/emergencyinfo/stormwater-program-enforcement-discretion-guidance.pdf

I offer my deep gratitude to each and every one of you who are being cautious in contact but taking care of and serving our community. I can be contacted at bmurphy@leg.state.vt.us or 802-849-6545
For up to date information https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19
: [1]  
« previous next »
: