Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:42:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  All Cycle Handling Hazardous Household Waste Day Sat, 10/13/2007
« previous next »
: [1]
: All Cycle Handling Hazardous Household Waste Day Sat, 10/13/2007  ( 4430 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 09, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »

Bill Ormerod tells me that All Cycle is handling Hazardous Household Waste Day and he is expecting a price list today and will e-mail it to me after which I will post here for you.

Henry Raymond
Barbara
: 270

« #1 : October 12, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »

I have been eagerly awaiting this hazardous waste day to dispose of my first burnt out energy efficient light bulb.  I am aware they contain mercury and don't wish to dispose of it in the general garbage stream.  I was amazed to see it will cost me $5 to bring this bulb in and have it taken care of.  I am frightened that our energy efficiency drive is going to be in conflict with ecological goals if people decide they won't pay the fee to properly dispose of such items.  It is estimated 150 million were sold in 2006.  That is a lot of mercury being introduced into our environment.  I don't know what the solution is but I am concerned people may not be aware there is a problem. 
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : October 13, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »

Erin McSweeney checks a customer out at Hazardous Household Waste Day.  Erin said it started off kind of slow, but had picked up.  Some of the items can be quite expensive to dispose of.  Barbara made a very good point in her comment regarding some people may not use the recycle due to the cost of disposing some items.  Somebody, somewhere along the way has got to be making a few bucks on this and I am sure it is not the town.[/b]

Henry Raymond
Barbara

« #3 : October 14, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »

I was just charged one $5 fee for my two household bulbs. The goal is to collect the hazardous items and keep them out of the general trash stream, or our environment in particular.  No one should avoid bringing anything in to the collection site because of the fee list.  I was told it can be adjusted if necessary.  I certainly appreciate the select-board members who donated a cold but beautiful fall morning to sit at the town garage and help us make our town a little cleaner and safer.  Thank you.
Barbara

« #4 : October 27, 2007, 01:38:28 PM »

Sorry if everyone has heard enough from me on this topic, but I wanted to share the latest information I found on the compact fluorescent light bulbs.  Efficiency Vermont has mailed an offer coupon that encourages us to purchase these bulbs at a discount.  I went to their website to determine if they were offering a responsible reclamation program and found there is one in place.  Lots of helpful information at this website:  http://www.mercvt.org/dispose/lamprecycleproject.htm

« : October 28, 2007, 07:43:48 AM Henry »
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : October 27, 2007, 06:53:18 PM »

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the info.  I have several circular tubes in my garage waiting to be disposed of.  I went on the web site you recommended and found there are some places close by in Milton and St. Albans that will do this:

Hardware stores have teamed up with the state of Vermont to offer free recycling for Vermont residents of up to six fluorescent and other mercury-containing bulbs per visit. If you have questions regarding this project contact the Mercury Hotline.
What kinds of bulbs contain mercury?
·   8' or 4' linear fluorescent bulbs
·   Compact fluorescent bulbs
·   Linear fluorescent bulbs such as - tanning bulbs, grow bulbs, black lights and smaller (12", 18", 24" etc.) bulbs
·   U-tubes
·   Circular fluorescent bulbs
·   HID car headlights (appear blue when lit)
·   High Intenisty Discharge (HID) bulbs (such as: mercury vapor, metal halide, etc.)
The following is the list of participating stores
Store Name   Location   Contact Name   Phone
Milton Building Supply    Milton    Dan Degraff    (802)893-2426
St. Albans ACE Hardware    St. Albans    Mike Duffy    (802)527-7205
Sticks & Stuff    St. Albans    Dan Dupelle    (802)524-2136
Walker's Farm, Home & Tack    St. Albans    John Bean    (802)524-9255

Next time I am down at J & L Hardware, I will check with Jeff to see if he might do the same thing, but isn't listed.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: