Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2018, 07:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
48562 Posts in 18537 Topics by 517 Members
Latest Member: Christy25
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Library Announcements
| | |-+  Unapproved Minutes FCL Trustees' meeting May 10 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unapproved Minutes FCL Trustees' meeting May 10 2018  (Read 106 times)
Rev. Elizabeth
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1276


View Profile
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »

FCL Trustees’ Meeting
May 10 2018     6:30, Fairfax Room

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 by chair, Pat Gallant.  Present were: Liz Griffin, Eric Foreman, Ellen Holmes-Henry, Chris Fearon, and library director, Debbie Landauer.
There was neither correspondence nor public input.

The minutes of the March 22 meeting were reviewed and a motion was made by Liz to approve them, and the motion passed.  Also, the  minutes of the April 5 meeting were also reviewed, Liz made the motion to approve,  and  they were approved.

The treasurer, Eric, said that he had discussed with Amy of the Town Clerk’s office the wages and hours of FCL employees. Additionally, he reported that the checking account had one outstanding check and after it clears the balance will be $357.83.  There is $1835.92 in the savings account, and the CD is worth  $6178.45.  Since this CD matures in November 2018, a discussion took place about what to do with the money as the interest rate is .65%.
Options include: putting it in the rollover fund; use some of it for special expenditures; find CD’s that have a better interest rate.  Debbie will look into past records to see if the CD has any funds that were ‘dedicated.’

There was discussion about sources of money for the savings account.  At one point monies from donations, the conscience jar, and  overdue books went into this account. Now, all those funds go into the  library’s “other income” account for greater accountability. 

Chris made a motion to approve the treasurer’s report and it was approved. 

A conversation developed about fundraising and the role of the library trustees.  This will be a conversation for a later time.

Updates

Debbie, with the participation  of  some of the trustees has interviewed 7 individuals for the soon to be vacant Library Assistant position.  Two have withdrawn their applications.  Debbie has at least two or more interviews to conduct.

Facilities Committee.

No trustees attended the last meeting.  Karin, however, did.  Debbie and Joy gave the library’s past plans and priorities to Karin so she will have insight into the FCL’s concerns about the possible renovation to the building.  Karin reported that the committee is going to focus on the basics: what needs repair, what needs replacing, and safety. 


Regional Trustees Training.

Ellen attended this meeting and spoke highly of Lara Keenan, who led the workshops.  An important issue brought up and discussed was the importance of the trustees’ relationality to the community and willingness to engage community members and groups about the library and its role in the life of the community.  The importance of long term planning was emphasized. 
The FCL will begin the process of creating a community survey about the library in preparation for creating a 5 year strategic plan.  The ideas Ellen shared support the trustees’ planning and work toward this end.

New Business

At the Joint Board Meeting a decision was made to install a buzzer for the public access to the library.  This was discussed at a recent School Board meeting and according to John Tague,  the BFA principal, this installation will occur this summer or sooner.  There was no discussion addressing the librarians’ concerns about additional staffing  to help monitor the buzzer.  Cost of installation will be discussed at a school board meeting. Joy Mercer recommended that the school hire a third library staff person to help with monitoring the buzzer. There will be a  school board meeting on May 14 at 6:30 which will provide an update on school safety concerns and plans.  Ellen will probably attend this meeting.

We need to work on our own safety plans for the library when school is not in session. School policy supersedes library policy when school is in session, but we need a plan for non school hours, and, of course, the summer.   Debbie will research other libraries’ safety protocols for the trustees to examine as they create such a document for FCL.

Community Survey

Chris and Eric will meet to discuss the document to be used for a community survey. They anticipate a meeting with Lara Keenan for support and advice,  and they will also seek out surveys from other libraries to gather ideas. They will contact people who can review the efficacy of the questions they create for the survey, and will solicit the kinds of questions that should be asked in a community survey.    Debbie will share previous FCL surveys.  Chris suggested that the survey be put on our August agenda.  Eric and Chris will send the trustees a draft of the survey so questions can be reviewed.

Summer Reading program.
The theme of the Summer Reading Program this year is “Libraries Rock.”

A motion was made by Chris to adjourn and the meeting was adjourned at 8:00.  The next meeting is June 21.

Respectfully submitted     

  Elizabeth Griffin
Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.4 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!