Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:12:13 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Farm-to-School Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: Farm-to-School Update  ( 3799 )
chelseaclark
: 54

« : June 14, 2016, 04:37:46 PM »

6/14/16
To: BFA-Fairfax and Fairfax Community
Subject: Farm-to-School at BFA-Fairfax

https://vimeo.com/27667761

In the spring of 2015, a vocal group of parents and community members were expressing concerns about the quality of the food served in the cafeteria. I shared some of these concerns but I was admittedly not very familiar with the food program, so I attended a meeting of the Food Service Committee to see what I could learn. I came away from this meeting having learned that while there are many challenges in this area, there are just as many opportunities. Most importantly, our administration and our food service is willing and enthusiastic about improving our food service and meeting the needs of our school community.
   I was also curious about the possibility of bringing Farm-to-School (FTS) to BFA as a way to include education about food in addition to prioritizing sourcing fresh local ingredients in our cafeteria. I knew about the FTS program from many years of involvement with the Northeast Organic Farming Association, the parent organization for VTFEED (Vermont Food Education Every Day). It seemed to me that  BFA is already doing many things that would fall nicely under the umbrella of a FTS program, and it could provide a framework on which to build something much more significant than simply making improvements to the quality of the food served in the cafeteria.
   As a pre-K to 12 school, Fairfax is uniquely positioned to benefit from a Farm-to-School program. Through the “personal learning plans” of the future, we will have the opportunity to engage students at every age in a living laboratory in which they can learn and demonstrate proficiency in a variety of academic topics. Additionally, a FTS program will provide a connection for students and families to where food comes from in addition to our agricultural heritage, a point of pride for Fairfax families. The potential is only limited by our imaginations!
   In the summer of 2015, Jason Mashtere was hired by the Abbey Group to be the new chef, and he immediately began making improvements.  In the fall of 2015, the Food Service Committee began to work through the Community Action Plan as laid out by VTFEED, as well as the grant application for the Farm-to-School Planning Grant. We submitted the application in October 2015 and were awarded the year-long grant which started in January 2016. We recruited some key stakeholders to participate on the Steering Committee, and in March a small number of us attended a VTFEED-sponsored FTS workshop in Middlebury for Planning Grant recipients. At this meeting, we met with schools from around the state to share ideas.
   Soon afterward, a student Farm-to-School club was formed in the high school, and since then enthusiasm for the FTS has caught on like wildfire. At the 6/14/16 school board meeting, the student FTS club presented their Student Vision for what they envision for FTS at BFA-Fairfax.
   At the time of this writing, a garden plot has been planted with winter squash and onions as well as plans for garlic production, and a culinary herb garden is planned in the terrace off of the main kitchen to accompany the 2 donated picnic tables from this year’s graduating class. A Farm-to-School Landscape Design class is currently in the works to be offered to high school students in the Fall 2016. The class will be co-taught by Jane Sorensen, UVM professor, and Fred Griffin and will turn the Student Vision for FTS into a master site plan.

More than a school garden   
   Many of us believe that the implementation of a strong Farm-to-School program has the potential to transform our school. As the climate of education is changing, having a well-integrated FTS program could provide a niche that would put BFA-Fairfax on the map. In order to harness the wonderful level of excitement and keep the momentum moving forward in a productive manner, the role of the Farm to School Steering Committee must be well-defined. We will need to continue to build a foundation from a complex web of stakeholders representing “the three Cs”; the Classroom, Community and Cafeteria. Integrating FTS into all areas of our school will require transparency, flexibility, and excellent communication. With the support, participation, and expertise of students, teachers, parents, administrators, community members, etc. it will blossom!

What’s next
   While the FTS Steering Committee and Food Service Committee continue to work on the areas of local purchasing and curriculum development, students and members of the FTS Steering Committee will continue to meet over the summer and document progress with the garden. The fall semester promises to be a busy time of continuous FTS activity, and planning is in the works to have several kick-off events around the start of the school year. Please stay tuned for future updates and opportunities to participate in this exciting program!  If you have any interest in brainstorming fundraising ideas for the next school year, please contact me.

My best,
Chelsea
(FTS Steering Committee Member, parent, occasional nurse sub)

Chelsea Clark, BS, RN, IBCLC
chelseavt@gmail.com
802-363-3297

Fundraising/awareness brainstorm:

Kick-off event (Aug. ’16)
Harvest Dinner (Sept. ’16)
Open house table (Oct. ’16)
Plant/seed sale (April ’17)
5K jog/stroll (May ’17)
Flower box/Garden contest (June ’16)
4th of July Parade float (July ’17)
Farmer’s Market Table (June-Aug. ’17)
Harold
: 45

« #1 : August 09, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »

This is great, Chelsea!  Thanks for the updates!

"If you don't know where you are, you don't know who you are."
-Wendell Berry
: [1]  
« previous next »
: