Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:37:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax To Address Crime At Meeting
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax To Address Crime At Meeting  ( 2110 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 02, 2015, 07:01:33 AM »

Drug use seen as the problem

By MICHELLE MONROE
Messenger Staff Writer

FAIRFAX - Concerns about increased in property crimes and substance abuse have lead the selectboard to set a community meeting for Thursday at 7 p.m. at the fire station.

"We're having a break-in an average of once a week," said selectboard member Keith Potvin, adding there was another on Saturday.

"We're having an increase in crime. We're having an increase in heroin. Obviously, they're related," said Potvin.

The Franklin County, Sheriff's Office, Vermont State Police and the Turning Point substance abuse treatment center have agreed to send representatives to the session.

Potvin said he wants community members to share their experiences. 

Although Fairfax is a bedroom community, "we're not immune to this stuff," he said"We can do better," said Potvin, a Swanton Police officer. "Let's figure this out."

Potvin said he has spoken with-people who have expressed a willingness to use firearms against anyone breaking into their home. "I get your anger.  I get your passion," said Potvin.

At the same time, he reminds homeowners not to do anything that might get them in trouble and to remember that people who use or abuse substances are still people. "That drug addict ... is· somebody's kid," he said.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: