Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:47:54 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Lost bird
« previous next »
: [1]
: Lost bird  ( 3941 )
Scott
: 152

« : April 04, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »

I was watching this bird outside. Hadn't seen one like this before.

My wife looked it up and it's a Long Billed Dowitcher and shouldn't even be in this area.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Long-billed_Dowitcher/id

Regards,
Scott
cakelady
: 43

« #1 : April 04, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »

I believe it's a woodcock. We had one stuck in our garage a few years ago. They are common to our area but rarely seen due to their excellent camouflage.
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #2 : April 10, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »

It is indeed an American Woodcock. They are related to the dowitchers, another shorebird that can sometimes seen in shallow waters during their fall migration. Woodcocks returned to this area just last week. If you go out at dusk or dawn, just when it's dark enough to barely see, you can listen for this bird's "Peent" and watch it's incredible aerial mating display.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: