Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:32:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Changes in Trash coming
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Changes in Trash coming  ( 19136 )
nhibbard
: 393

« #15 : April 06, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »

Well that's the problem with releasing information and not specifics. You're going to get a lot of guessing. It's also a big change if you're talking about charging people more for something they're already paying for. As commented before, if we have this in place does that mean we'll save on trash costs as a town and the budget will go down more for removal?
kpplus2

« #16 : April 06, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »

looks like more information on the subject from the select board minutes:

Barb Murphy is here this evening to update the Board on what is being discussed at the state level.  A bill was just introduced, the H493 Short Form, pertaining to conservation and development; solid waste; solid waste management; recycling; pricing.  She explained how the bill would allow municipalities to finance solid waste management through property tax assessments, or other financing mechanisms, other than the variable rate pricing.  (Not sure what that means sounds like an additional property tax to me)

Robert (Bob) Shea is here this evening to discuss a couple of subjects of concern he has. The first is with Duffy’s and Act 148.  His concerns were addressed by different members of the Board, as well as what details have been worked out thus far.  Tom stated that this is a state mandated act.

1.  Act 148 – Updates were reviewed as well as where we are currently.  We will setup a timeline to move forward with becoming compliant.  Two public informational meetings will be held at the Fire House 4.30.15 at 6:30 pm. and 5.2.15 at 10 am.  A meeting was held with Duffy’s Trash & Recycling prior to this meeting.  Please see notes  (didn't see a notes post)
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #17 : April 07, 2015, 06:09:33 AM »

I can see if I can get that info from Catherine Duffy later this week.

I have to say I am so frustrated with people just blaming Duffy's on this. THIS IS THE STATE! So many people just like to complain before reading....

Thanks for the dates of the meetings. Let's spread the word so others will attend and be informed!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
mkr
Administrator

« #18 : April 07, 2015, 06:14:26 AM »

And Nick, since we pay them an fee for pick up per house and then pay the cost to dump our garbage; it only makes sense if we have less garbage, it would cost us less based on how we have our contract. 

If we were with Casella still the price would be the same and we would save $0.

nhibbard

« #19 : April 08, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »

If we save more, why can't we just charge a tiny annual fee to the residents and have the town pay the fee. by the magic of numbers, we pay about the same and have still charged the fee.
mkr
Administrator

« #20 : April 09, 2015, 05:15:05 AM »

You are making too much sense Nick, LOL.  This is the State, nothing can run smooth.

kpplus2

« #21 : April 09, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »

Universal Recycling
Timeline

July 1, 2014 -

•Transfer Stations / Drop-off Facilities must accept residential recyclables at no extra charge

July 1, 2015 -

•Statewide unit based pricing, residential trash charges based on volume or weight

•Recyclables are banned from the landfill
•Transfer stations / Drop-off Facilities must accept leaf & yard debris
•Haulers must offer residential recycling collection at no extra charge
•Public buildings must provide recycling containers alongside all trash containers in public spaces (exception for restrooms)
•Food scrap generators of 52 tons/year (1 ton/week) must divert material to any certified facility within 20 miles

July 1, 2016 -
•Leaf, yard, & clean wood debris are banned from the landfill
•Haulers must offer leaf & yard debris collection
•Food scrap generators of 26 tons/year (1/2 ton/week) must divert material to any certified facility within 20 miles

July 1, 2017 -
•transfer stations / Drop-off Facilities must accept food scraps
•Haulers must offer food scrap collection
•Food scrap generators of 18 tons/year (1/3 ton/week) must divert material to any certified facility within 20 miles

July 1, 2020-
•Food scraps are banned from the landfill

If you have any questions please call Stacy at the Town Office 849-6111 x 16, or Duffy's Trash &
Recycling at 849-2309
Barbara
: 270

« #22 : April 09, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »

I was concerned about the effect on Fairfax of this legislation, Act 148, and was pleased to be given the opportunity to voice that concern through co-sponsoring H 493. The short form bill does not give all the details but is clear in its intent.  I will advocate for our community and try to get it off the wall next year.  in the meantime our Selectboard and town officials are helping us mee the requirements of the current law.

BILL AS INTRODUCED H.493
2015 Page 1 of 2
VT LEG #306266 v.1
1 H.493
2 SHORT FORM
3 Introduced by Representatives Quimby of Concord, Batchelor of Derby,
4 Eastman of Orwell, Higley of Lowell, Lefebvre of Newark,
5 Murphy of Fairfax, Sibilia of Dover, Strong of Albany, and
6 Young of Glover
7 Referred to Committee on
8 Date:
9 Subject: Conservation and development; solid waste; solid waste management;
10 recycling; pricing
11 Statement of purpose of bill as introduced: This bill proposes to repeal the
12 requirement that all individuals separate food residuals from solid waste by
13 2020. The bill would also amend the requirement that leaf and yard residuals
14 be separated from solid waste in order to accommodate management of leaf
15 and yard residuals in rural communities. In addition, the bill would allow
16 municipalities to finance solid waste management through property tax
17 assessments or other financing mechanisms, instead of by variable rate pricing.
18 The bill also ensures that municipalities may continue to manage solid waste in
19 the State individually or as part of an alliance or other group as long as the
20 municipality complies with the requirements and goals of the State materials
21 management plan. Last, the bill would afford municipalities flexibility in
ILL AS INTRODUCED H.493
2015 Page 2 of 2
VT LEG #306266 v.1
1 meeting the requirements under the State materials management plan for solid
2 waste surveys, placement of recycling receptacles in public places, and the
3 number of household hazardous waste collection events required each year.
4 An act relating to solid waste management
5 It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
6 (TEXT OMITTED IN SHORT-FORM BILLS)
nhibbard

« #23 : April 09, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »

This is the most absurd legislation based on a well conceived desire. You'll need to offer multiple bins at homes and you'll be leaving out food scraps in those containers which animals will be in love with. How are haulers going to pick up yard debris. This is going to drive up the cost of trash overall because they'll have to raise the cost on trash since they can't get it from all these other collections they are forced to make. Then you'll have to have more trucks to handle this or better sorting facilities. Sounds like overall trash collection will take longer as well.
mirjo
: 785

« #24 : April 09, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »

It's likely the logistics have not been thought out/considered/ are a work in progress and will change continually as this progresses; however, the reality is and has been that we can't continue to dump everything and anything in the same way we always have.

We've had recycling in Fairfax for over 25 years and still there is less than 100% compliance. ??? I don't get that. Initially (late 80s-90s) it was a real pain because everything had to be fixed just so in the bin, cans/plastic had to be flattened, everything had to be separated in paper bags, milk jugs had to be flattened & tied together by the handles then put on top of everything. The only thing loose allowed in the bin was glass. Eventually it went to zero sort, but I think people were so put off from the early days that they never bothered to recycle. Now it's basically mandatory.

It's hard to understand why people are complaining--unless they really generate a great deal of trash and will be hit hard with extra bag fees.  Getting into the habit of recycling will cut trash down a lot--as with any habit, once established, it becomes second nature. As for food scraps--those can be composted for your garden or someone else's--because I agree that putting them out for pickup is a lot gross--esp if it sits in the heat for a day or so. But, I understand food scraps can be put in a methane digester to produce energy similar to cow manure--so this is likely the intended plan. ???

It seems like a great big concern over per bag fees most people will likely not have to pay.  I wonder how will this fee be assessed at condos with dumpsters?

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: