Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:11:59 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Reviews
| | |-+  Security Cameras
« previous next »
: [1]
: Security Cameras  ( 16614 )
nhibbard
: 393

« : December 05, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »

Just finished installing AXIS security cameras at work on a Synology Network-Attached-Storage (NAS) system. This was a great experience. The overall cost was reasonable to setup using IP cameras. The smaller install was:

4 AXIS IP cameras
1 Synology NAS
1 POE switch
CAT6 wiring

There is no electrical wiring because the switch provides all the power for the camera as well as the networking. This is a major benefit over all the entry level systems that require power at each camera. Running CAT6 is much cheaper and easier that having to get outlets where you want the camera.

You can use the Synology NAS as network storage as well as a security system. Each camera has a web portal to view and setup the camera and the Synology software pulls all the feeds together. If you have a Windows domain at your office, you can use that to authorize users access to the NAS.

With a little extra work, the cameras are available remotely on a computer or phone.

Much of this sounds like what you can get at Costco for a few hundred dollars but overall the quality and customization is far greater. Don't underestimate the savings associated with removing direct power connections. You can add IP cameras anyway you like as long as they are connected. If you network has more than one subnet (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1) you can easily keep the cameras in those subnets and have access to all the cameras at one site.
Scott
: 152

« #1 : December 08, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »

Excellent idea to install cameras due to recent happenings around town. What was your total project cost if you don't mind me asking....and how about some links to what you used? Thanks

Regards,
Scott
nhibbard
: 393

« #2 : December 09, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »

System - Synology DS214+ - $295
Hard Drives - Western Digital 4Tb Purple Drive (x2) - $328
Camera License - Synology 4 License Camera Pack - $295
POE Switch - Cisco SF300-24FP - $302
Camera - AXIS P3384-V (x2) - $1,444
Camera - AXIS M3005 (x2) - $750
Wiring - CAT6 Plenum Rated Cabling - $300 (the price is for 1,000 ft but you can use the rest later)
Viewing Station - Synology VS240HD - $500

Estimate - $4,214

Additional Cameras - $52 per for the license and then the cost of the camera. This system supports up to 16 cameras and the switch can power up to 24 devices at a total of 180 watts. You'll want to leave some overhead there though.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: