Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:20:46 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Busing Bind For Residents Of The Town Of Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Busing Bind For Residents Of The Town Of Fairfax  ( 4948 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 07, 2014, 05:57:18 AM »

BUSING BIND
CHANGE IN LAW FORCES FAIRFAX TO SHIFT GEARS
BY MICHELLE MONROE
ST. ALBANS MESSENGER STAFF WRITER

This article appeared in the Thursday Edition of The St. Albans Messenger dated November 6, 2014

FAIRFAX – Following a July 1, 2014, change in Vermont law, school districts no longer have the authority to provide transportation for their students. That responsibility now belongs to the supervisory unions, which are now also responsible for the costs.

Unlike most other schools in the area, Bellows Free Academy Fairfax (BFA) owns its buses and continues to provide service to its own students. With the new law, Franklin West Supervisory Union (FWSU) will have to put busing services for BFA out to bid, but superintendent Ned Kirsch said that does not automatically mean
BFA will sell its buses.

"We have to solicit bids and determine if the bids are more effective and efficient," said Kirsch.

If contracting with a bus service will be more costly than operating its own buses, BFA will continue to operate them, explained Kirsch. "We don't want to spend more money;" he said.

The decision of how to provide busing for BFA Fairfax students next year will be made by the FWSU board and not the Fairfax School Board, which no longer has the authority to make that decision under the law.

"The main hope here is that if you look at the situation supervisory union-wide then there ought to be cases where savings are available," said Vaughn Altemus, of the Vermont Agency of Education.

Before it changed the law, the Vermont Legislature heard testimony about partially full buses traveling through a community from a neighboring district to reach a union high school, Altemus said. With services provided by the supervisory union, those buses could be filled, he suggested.

Sharing busing across the supervisory union could offer some opportunities for more efficient busing, such as in areas of Fletcher and Fairfax where it might make more sense to have students from both communities share a bus rather than run two separate buses to neighboring areas, according to Kirsch. "There might be some efficiencies, but I don't know what they might be," he said.

Supervisory unions can contract with districts that own their own buses to provide busing services, explained Vaughn.

Some schools have sold their fleets to busing companies as part of a contract for services. According to minutes of a September Fairfax board meeting, BFA's fleet is worth $97,000 excluding the new bus purchased this year.

The cost of busing will be transferred to the supervisory union budget. Each school district pays a share of the supervisory union budget. However, voters do not vote directly on the budget, only the share of it appearing in their local school district budget.

Critics of transferring costs to supervisory unions have argued there is less transparency with supervisory union budgets because they are not directly approved by voters.

For this year, BFA has a waiver allowing it to provide busing for its students.

In order to continue to maintain its waiver, BFA would have to demonstrate to the Secretary of Education that continuing to provide services at the district level is more efficient and effective than providing busing on a supervisory union level, explained Altemus.

The intent of Acts 153 and 156 is to generate savings by requiring schools to provide transportation and special education as a group through their supervisory union rather than as individual school districts.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #1 : November 08, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »

I like that this doesn't take into account the amount of time a kid might have to send on a bus. Who is the survivors union resonsie to now for roving that what they are doing is more efficient. Do I have to look at everyone budget and somehow lug it together to figure that out. I think they should have to show a consolidated budget and the amount of each line going to each district. This isn't New York with a school every few blocks. The legislature has shown many times tha not everything saves on our scale. Look at the cost to develop a website for under a million people. If you want scale, remove all districts and make a state union. Otherwise, let towns consolidate when they want and stop pushing through small pieces to reach the same end.
7F24
: 253

« #2 : November 08, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »

I am curious about Ned's comment "does not automatically mean BFA will sell its buses".   I don't understand how Ned can sell buses that the people of Fairfax bought.  If he decides to go with a contractor, our buses and bus garage should not be part of the formula.  The contractor should have to provide the buses and a place to store them to give an honest price.  The person from the state at the meeting about the buses said the contractor would rent our garage for the going rate.  Only an idiot would buy that, they will charge us in the contract whatever we charge them for rent....free building. 
     If we contract the busing, the buses should go back to the town.   We can decide to keep or sell, our choice.  If we sell, the money goes to the town...not the SU.
It bothers me having administrators deciding an issue that really affects this town when none of them live here.
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #3 : November 13, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »

I am curious about Ned's comment "does not automatically mean BFA will sell its buses".   I don't understand how Ned can sell buses that the people of Fairfax bought.  If he decides to go with a contractor, our buses and bus garage should not be part of the formula.  The contractor should have to provide the buses and a place to store them to give an honest price.  The person from the state at the meeting about the buses said the contractor would rent our garage for the going rate.  Only an idiot would buy that, they will charge us in the contract whatever we charge them for rent....free building. 
     If we contract the busing, the buses should go back to the town.   We can decide to keep or sell, our choice.  If we sell, the money goes to the town...not the SU.
It bothers me having administrators deciding an issue that really affects this town when none of them live here.

The buses were bought through the school budget which I believes provides the justification for the school board to decide what to do with them.  Buses have been sold in the past as part of the replacement process without any issue, which also provides some precedence as well.  If it is decided to go with a contractor, the bus garage will not be utilized, this building will be utilized by the buildings and grounds crew.   The decision is being made by the FWSU Board on which Fairfax has representation.  None of the administrator are making this decision.
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : November 13, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »

Is there some reason the BFA buses couldn't be used (contracted-whatever) by the SU to serve its distrricts? I understand there are logistics involved that need to be worked out, but if they're spending  money already... ???

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: