Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:12:07 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  Frills And Fun Back In August 1958 - Courtesy Of Sally Sweet
« previous next »
: [1]
: Frills And Fun Back In August 1958 - Courtesy Of Sally Sweet  ( 4190 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 03, 2007, 07:46:27 AM »

Below is a clipping from a local newspaper regarding the upcoming Annual Country Fair to benefit the BFA Hot Lunch Program.  This particular one was August 1958.  Sally Sweet dug this one up for me.  Notice what it tells you in case it rains - Check the price of the Chicken Dinner - Wonder how many of our youngsters today would enjoy Round & Square Dancing - Bet not many have heard of those TV Stars "Duke & His Swing Billies" - Remember the tug of war??  It was quite the event.

FRILLS AND FUN:

BFA, Fairfax, Holding Annual Country Fair for Hot Lunch Program Aug, 7-8

The BFA hot lunch benefit -- the annual Country Fair with all its usual thrills and fun, for old and young will be held again this year on the BFA school grounds -- Thursday and Friday evenings, August 7 and 8.  In case of rain -- bring your umbrellas.

The big indoor feature of our opening evening will be a delicious bar-b-que dinner with all the fixings, prepared by Fairfax's excellent cooks.  This is sure to better the best of feasts.  The chicken will be bar-b-cued by none other than the well known Ted Wetherbee of Essex Junction.  Tickets will be on sale as you enter -- $1.25 for adults and 75 c for children under 12.  First serving will start at 5:30.  Second serving at 6:30, continuing until all are served.

The indoor feature the second night will be a dance from 9-12.  Round and square dances for both old and young with music by TV's famous "Duke and His Swing Billies."

The outdoor feature both evenings under bright lights and waving banners will be the usual midway novelties and games, plus some new attractions.  Here you may try your luck or learn your skills by throwing rings, balls. or darts for money or prizes.  Play the paddle wheel or hammer nails.

Bring the small fry.  Beebe's ponies will be there with fun to share.  The horse and buggy ride will be a new attraction.  The children will also find our fish pond full of rare fish.

The midway will also provide sale of your heart's desire -- delicious home-cooked food -- homemade candy, pop corn, potato chips, coffee and donuts, hot dogs and hamburgers.

Don't forget our parcel post, fancy work and art booths.  They will both please and amuse you.  And ---where will the bargains be?  Just try our Attic Treasures.  Here you'll find with one look what our committee has been a year collecting.  You're looking for more bargains?  Then try our rummage sale.

Who says "What you can't do at 18, don't try at 40?"  Want the answer?  We have it.  "Tug of War" married men versus single men -- 8 o'clock Friday evening.  Contestants within BFA vicinity.

If you feel tired from the midway sit in on our bingo game.  Prizes are bigger and better this year.  You can't lose.  Or, relax to the strains of the Fairfax-Westford Band which will provide selections Thursday evening.

Also, you may be a winner of one of the raffle prizes to be drawn Friday evening.

So put away your worries and cares.  We hope to see you at the fair.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: