Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:54:24 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Barbara Murphy
« previous next »
: [1]
: Barbara Murphy  ( 12614 )
johnmitchell
: 62

« : October 11, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »

I would like to give my support to Barbara Murphy by endorsing her campaign to represent Fairfax in Montpelier for the ensuing session.  I have known Barbara and her family for 30 years and have admired her ability to deal with situations in every facet of life.  She is one who does not shrink from the face of adversity and will always express her opinion succinctly and clearly.  She has served Fairfax well over the years by being involved with the school board, town boards, church boards and she serves the larger community by her involvement with Franklin County Home Health.  BARBARA IS A LEADER!

Barbara's demeanor, political intention and articulate manner are what are needed in the State House in my opinion at this time.  We need to have a voice that will express our desire for no new taxes, reasonable logic in our approach to health care, restructuring education finance and governance, and in general a person that will cast her vote with knowledge of the subject and representation of our community.  Barbara is that person and I strongly urge folks to vote for her on November 4.  Moderation is needed to put the brakes on our state government's direction.  So please VOTE FOR BARBARA.     State Representative  John Mitchell
Peggy
: 32

« #1 : October 14, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »

Barbara Murphy, your welcoming and efficient postal clerk who always greeted you with a smile.  She’s a common sense, practical problem solver who approaches issues with a positive, can do attitude.  Vote for Barbara and let her use these traits in the legislature.
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : October 15, 2014, 02:20:43 AM »

Do you know a candidate with a plan of action? It's not possible to ride into Montpelier with guns blazing and flags flying with your plan to get things done. If it worked that way, then things would be a lot different. It's endless haggling in committee to come to some agreement with others, where you must give your opinion & thoughts. It would do every citizen of this state wonders to spend a few days in Montpelier observing, sitting in on committee meetings and just seeing how government actually works, many would be surprised to see that it's nothing like they sit at home and imagine it is.

A plan is nothing more than someone's opinion about how something should be done. The bottom line kpplus2 is that something is ALWAYS going to be broken for someone and just because you or your neighbor or someone else you know may   get someone in office that will fix something that falls in line with whatever your opinion is , doesn't mean it's going to work for the next guy down the street or the one after that. That's just the way it is. At any given moment approximately 50% of the population is disgruntled with the political climate.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #3 : October 15, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »

KPPLUS2, Can you say what the topics you asked about were?  This might place some perspective on your thoughts.  The topics you asked about might make Barbara's response reasonible or it might support your thoughts and comments.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #4 : October 15, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »

When I asked Ms. Murphy some questions that I believe were important her response was:

"Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions. I do not have "positions" other than my own thoughts on these issues.  From my experience over the past years of participating in local government, I believe it is important to maintain the willingness to be educated on a topic.  Having said that, I do have opinions and realize voters wish to know at least where my heart is on issues our legislature confronts.

Sorry I want a candidate with plans, drive, and positions on topics that mean a lot to me and my family. We all have "opinions" and "thoughts" I want results, and plans to fix what is broken.

I remember seeing this Keith, I felt it seemed to be a kind of political skirt around the question to as well.  The person is running for office and has to be somewhat political without a doubt, but I would prefer to have someone be honest and tell me where they stand on issues.  I like Barb very much and I have known her all my life, but I am a firm believer that it is political maneuvering like she did on those questions that's the issue within our government.

How does the saying go...... If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Again, no disrespect to Barb in anyway but I would prefer to have a candidate that speaks their mind and takes a solid stance on issues.  In MY OPINION, it makes me feel as though I know what I'm buying or going along with.  Just my 2 cents.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : October 15, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »

I have to say I have heard nothing from Chris and where he stands.  I like both of them but Chris has not done anything different on here. I have checked and found nothing...

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #6 : October 15, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »

I have to say I have heard nothing from Chris and where he stands.  I like both of them but Chris has not done anything different on here. I have checked and found nothing...

MKR, I in no way stole the post and made it about Chris out of respect to Barbra.  I simply stated my opinion and how I felt about the topic at hand, I did not say that Chris was a better candidate or even compare the two at anytime here.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Barbara
: 270

« #7 : October 23, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

I would like to thank John and Peg for their endorsements that began this topic stream.  Barbara
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #8 : October 24, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »

I asked Barbara about her positions on gun control/2nd Amendment.

"Responsible gun ownership and use are protected by our Second Amendment. I will approach any gun control legislation with these rights and the needs of our community in mind.

When my husband was alive, we always hosted Thanksgiving dinner so he and our brother-in-law could spend the daylight hours deer hunting in the woods behind our home.
He introduced me to gun ownership and taught me to shoot. There is a private shooting range behind my home now.

I believe that our neighbor Massachusetts has gun laws that go beyond reason in attempting to legislate ownership of weapons. 
My son lives in MA with his family and came back to attend his Grandfather's funeral. He was presented with the spent shell casings from the salute in honor of his Grandfather's service in the military.  Without having the proper weapons permit it is against the law for him to transport this treasured relic back to his home.

My purpose in sharing these brief personal stories is to give a sense of how I would approach any legislation pertaining to the Second Amendment.  I hope they serve that goal."

Thank you Barbara.
« : October 24, 2014, 11:41:10 AM mkr »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
dvallett
: 55

« #9 : October 24, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »

As a hunter, owner of many firearms, and one who has known Barbara very well for many years, I can attest to her respect for gun owners, hunters, and their rights. I have no doubt whatsoever that she would do exactly as she says and approach any legislative issues regarding our 2nd amendment rights responsibly, with reason, and with respect for the rights of all our community members.
« : October 24, 2014, 07:48:30 PM dvallett »
mirjo

« #10 : October 26, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »

@kpplus2: To be clear and that is important, I asked if you knew a candidate with a plan, which you didn't actually answer, because as MK pointed out, none so far has come forward on this forum to outline one. Also, I wasn't suggesting that you personally were guns blazing or even disgruntled, I was speaking about candidates/legislators with the former & the popluation overall with the latter.

As I've stated before, it's great to have an agenda and to want to get things done; however, other than voting one's conscience, work on bills/laws is done in committees before being presented to the house. Legislators are assigned to committees, they don't choose which ones they want to be on.

mirjo

« #11 : October 26, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »

The process is the same there as it is out here, vote for what you believe and the majority rules. Some walk away pleased, others not so much.

Barbara
: 270

« #12 : October 30, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »

John Mitchell just sent me a note that people are confused about my position on gun control.  I hoped my response to MaryKay and Dave's endorsement made it clear.  I believe gun owners should be in control of their guns. 

mkr
Administrator

Re: Barbara Murphy
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
I asked Barbara about her positions on gun control/2nd Amendment.

"Responsible gun ownership and use are protected by our Second Amendment. I will approach any gun control legislation with these rights and the needs of our community in mind.

When my husband was alive, we always hosted Thanksgiving dinner so he and our brother-in-law could spend the daylight hours deer hunting in the woods behind our home.
He introduced me to gun ownership and taught me to shoot. There is a private shooting range behind my home now.

I believe that our neighbor Massachusetts has gun laws that go beyond reason in attempting to legislate ownership of weapons. 
My son lives in MA with his family and came back to attend his Grandfather's funeral. He was presented with the spent shell casings from the salute in honor of his Grandfather's service in the military.  Without having the proper weapons permit it is against the law for him to transport this treasured relic back to his home.

My purpose in sharing these brief personal stories is to give a sense of how I would approach any legislation pertaining to the Second Amendment.  I hope they serve that goal."

Thank you Barbara.

dvallett

Re: Barbara Murphy
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
As a hunter, owner of many firearms, and one who has known Barbara very well for many years, I can attest to her respect for gun owners, hunters, and their rights. I have no doubt whatsoever that she would do exactly as she says and approach any legislative issues regarding our 2nd amendment rights responsibly, with reason, and with respect for the rights of all our community members.

David Shea
: 471

« #13 : November 04, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »

Good luck Barbara!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: