Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:10:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA-Fairfax Transportation Consolidation and White House Update
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: BFA-Fairfax Transportation Consolidation and White House Update  ( 24161 )
7F24
: 253

« #15 : September 09, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »

Karen brought up a good point that was passed over quickly.  We own the bus garage...if the SU decides to get rid of our buses, they should have to find another place to keep and maintain the contractor's buses.  I don't want to see a private company use our garage to run their business at our expense.  The really frustrating thing about this issue is that most of the people making this decision don't live in this town, they don't seem to care what we really want.
Watchman
: 47

« #16 : September 10, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »

Here is some information regarding the "mandate".

Mr. Woodo:

In the 2010 legislative session Title 16 (education law) § 261a, Duties of supervisory union board, was amended so that (8) (E) reads “provide transportation or arrange for the provision of transportation, or both in any districts in which it is offered within the supervisory union.”

The Agency of Education interprets “provide transportation” to mean the supervisory union operates the buses to provide transportation and “arrange for the provision of transportation” as when a supervisory union enters into a contract with a vendor to provide transportation for students in the SU. In each case it is the supervisory union that pays for the transportation.

Section (8) provides that “if a supervisory union determines that services would be provided more efficiently and effectively in another manner, then it may ask the commissioner (now Secretary) to grant it a waiver from this subdivision:”

The relevant pieces of statute can be found at:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullsection.cfm?Title=16&Chapter=007&Section=00261a.

In summary, while district boards decide whether the students in their districts need transportation, the transportation is provided in one way or another by the supervisory union unless the supervisory union obtains a waiver. The Agency has granted waivers to allow supervisory unions an extra year to comply if, for example, they were able to demonstrate that allowing district transportation contracts to run out in the future produced greater efficiency and effectiveness than buying out of existing contracts immediately. It would take an unusual set of circumstances for a supervisory union to justify a permanent waiver to this section of law. Thank you for your interest.

Vaughn Altemus

Education Finance manager

Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:21 AM
To: AOE - Info Ed
Subject: Question?

I have what I hope is a simple question. Is there currently a mandate to consolidate bussing/transportation at the supervisory level?  Please provide information if possible. Thanks,
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #17 : September 11, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »

7f24,

Karen's point about the bus garage was noted and I will make certain that it is represented as things move forward and while I cannot speak for the entire board, I will do my utmost to assure that should an outside contractor be utilized and should they desire to utilize the bus garage it will be done so at no cost to the town/school.  They would need to rent that space.  The board will be informing the SU board that we want to build a case for Fairfax to maintain the bus fleet.  I believe there could be some creative solutions that make our bus fleet cost efficient and effective for the SU but they will need to be researched and compared. The SU board will then decide what is best for the entire SU.
ohhman
: 469

« #18 : September 11, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »

OK, for the "effective", I care for children whom take the bus from here, but they have a varied schedule. Yesterday when I saw the bus wasn't coming this way, I called our elementary secretary, who quickly called the driver of the bus that takes them home, they weren't there but were on the bus to come here, just haven't been here in awhile & the bus only needs to come this way for them. So, the bus turned around & delivered them safely here! This has happened a few times over the years, usually the child has boarded the wrong bus, but with our effectiveness of our own, all has turned out very well.   As to the comment above, that "they would need to rent that space" in reference to another company taking over, NO they do NOT need to rent that space as they have a huge facility already!!  If we have no bus fleet, we need & should use that space for our own use!  Where is the driver ed car stored??
RidgeRunner

« #19 : September 11, 2014, 08:56:32 PM »

Karen,  I agree there is effectiveness for Fairfax in owning our buses, but the effectiveness that will be the deciding factor will have to be what is most effective for the SU.  I am certain that we the Fairfax board,  will make the best case possible to maintain the buses but we are only a portion of the SU. As far as the bus garage, I think we are putting the cart in front of the horse, let's see where we end up and if we do end up with contracted buses, let's see if they have any desire to utilize the garage.  As you said they already have large facilities and I doubt they will want to rent a space from the School when they already have their own facility.
« : September 11, 2014, 09:05:39 PM RidgeRunner »
ohhman

« #20 : September 11, 2014, 09:11:03 PM »

F.Y.I.    kpplus2  IS NOT Karen Hebert!
RidgeRunner

« #21 : September 11, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »

F.Y.I.    kpplus2  IS NOT Karen Hebert!

I know, my reply was to your earlier post about the call to the school and turning the bus around.
kpplus2

« #22 : September 11, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »

I'm confused I was talking about state legislation and how it's filtering down
ohhman

« #23 : September 12, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »

Ridgerunner...wasn't referring to you here, I was just saying  kpplus2 is NOT Karen Hebert ONLY because it has been suggested in a few conversations that it is.
7F24

« #24 : September 12, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »

Ridgerunner,

I stopped at the SU Monday morning and discussed the buses.  I was told they would be kept in the same place as our buses, just like the rest of the SU.  I don't think this discusion is premature....if the SU is even considering cost for comparison, storage is an issue.  I really don't care what is good for the SU, I only care what is good for Fairfax.  I would like to know though...if people knew we were just on a one year waiver then would have to give up our buses, why did we have a new bus in the school budget?
RidgeRunner

« #25 : September 13, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

Ridgerunner,

I stopped at the SU Monday morning and discussed the buses.  I was told they would be kept in the same place as our buses, just like the rest of the SU.  I don't think this discusion is premature....if the SU is even considering cost for comparison, storage is an issue.  I really don't care what is good for the SU, I only care what is good for Fairfax.  I would like to know though...if people knew we were just on a one year waiver then would have to give up our buses, why did we have a new bus in the school budget?

I am not certain who told you that but I am not aware of any decision on storage being made. I will look into it and try to determine their reasons for saying this.

Regarding the waiver, new bus issue, while we were aware that a waiver would be required there was nothing that lead me to believe that we couldn't continue to waiver this and through this waiver be able to maintain the busing Fairfax  clearly stated it wanted. The legislature also updated conflicting laws this summer which I believe changed the ability to keep this at the district level and the ability to continue the waiver. We could not have continued operating the bus fleet we had, We needed to purchase a new bus this year to continue to provide safe and reliable busing for our students.
7F24

« #26 : September 13, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »

The guy from the state that tried to explain what's going on made the comment that they would rent at the going rate(whatever that means)...or something like that.  I'm against anyone but the town of Fairfax using that garage and parking area.
ohhman

« #27 : September 14, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »

The "conflicting laws" that were updated by the legislature were updated in 2013, so seems to me someone should have known this prior to now.  That information was given by the man from the State Education at the meeting Monday night.  I do not feel the SU has the authority to decide what happens to the bus garage that has been paid for only by Fairfax taxpayers; yes, the wonderful legislature gave them authority over transportation, but NOT the building.  I think as townspeople we all need to voice that LOUD & CLEAR to the SU that the garage is NOT part of their decision.  Sorry Ridgerunner if you are out of the loop with what the SU will do in the end; bottom line someone has the last say & that someone does not live in town nor ever paid a cent to the purchase of the buses or garage.  I agree with 7F24, only FAIRFAX should utilize that facility. 
« : September 14, 2014, 08:30:12 AM ohhman »
mirjo
: 785

« #28 : September 14, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »

Regardless of SU/State leg/Whatever, people still have a voice and only need to use it loudly enough to get the right things  done. The population at large in this country have forgotten that and pretty much just roll  over on things--then complain.  What has taken place re: the buses is bogus and everyone needs to stand their ground.   

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #29 : September 15, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »

I am 100% against the SU renting the garage out as well...That is our building and is on school property and I do not see how they can rent to a business....

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: